When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1665 DRSD

hunvaakaren

Hello guys.

Im going to do a complete drsd build from phong with original 1570 movement.

I was woundering If anyone have done a complete 1665 drsd build from phong before?

How good is the dial? Case? Insert? bracelet? etc?

Is it worth the money? Spending so much on phongs kit?

Thanks.

Hey Hun,

Cases are Phong's forte. However dials, inserts, etc aren't. I would recommend sourcing other parts separately, finding a donor movement from a 1500 Rolex date, and putting everything together from there (or sending it to an RWG approved watch smith to assemble). It will take longer to source everything, but you will be MUCH happier when it's all together as you'll likely have more gen parts, better aftermarket parts (accuracy-wise), and a story behind your franken :)

Good luck!

Hey Hun,

Cases are Phong's forte. However dials, inserts, etc aren't. I would recommend sourcing other parts separately, finding a donor movement from a 1500 Rolex date, and putting everything together from there (or sending it to an RWG approved watch smith to assemble). It will take longer to source everything, but you will be MUCH happier when it's all together as you'll likely have more gen parts, better aftermarket parts (accuracy-wise), and a story behind your franken

Good luck!

Ok, so i should start with a 1665 phong case and go for gen parts?

I have read that the phong case have some small problems with to fat cgs?

Thanks.

I agree with whoopy, use phong's case, and get the rest of your parts from other sources. It may take you longer, but you will end up with a much better watch in the long run. AFA all gen parts, probably not economically feasible. I would use a 1570 movement, gen date wheel, hands, insert, Pearl, crown, endlinks and bracelet. I don't know what your budget is, but a gen DRSD dial is going to be expensive!! Go over to the Vintage Rolex Forum and look in the marketplace, DRSD dials come up from time to time. You can get a feel for the quality and price from there.

I built essentially the same watch several years ago, I used and old MBW case instead of phong. Just to give you and idea, I only paid 150.00 USD for the watch, from a guy that had gotten out of reps. It had already had the CG mods and had a gen tropic T-39 superdome Crystal. Even with the cheap start, I have well over 3k in the watch today. When you start adding vintage gen parts, the costs add up pretty fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto the other 2's comments. Phong's cases are (generally) very good, but other parts are more hit & miss. Plus, based on the 2 (expensive) pre-assembled frankens I have personally inspected (not to mention some of the travesties Ziggy showed me), if you choose to go that route, I would factor in the cost of a complete overhaul upon receipt (with additional costs to fix whatever is wrong upon arrival).
When it comes to the purchase of a pre-assembled franken, the old adage of 'Buyer Beware' should be remembered.

• 3 weeks later...