When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Epos build, what are the parts?

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.    I have this watch that has a case/body from Epos  3241-1 and is a Sub style watch.   How do I find out which sapphire crystal and bezel, and gaskets fit this very standard looking submariner case?

(totally a noob but want to get crystal replaced and add a sterile mil-sub dial,)   I would like to order all the parts myself to have them all ready for whoever will clean the 2824-2 for me and assemble.

29qjzma.jpg

thanks,

Rick

IMG_1414.CR2

And the front....

29nvtw3.jpg

The dial is a nice marathon with tritium tubes, but I really want a sterile mil-sub while I'm replacing the scratched sapphire and getting the 10 year old movement serviced.  

Anyone watchmakers in Florida you recommend?

Edited by RickFlorida

LOL.    Yes, thank you but I already have and use these all the time.   What I was hoping, was that once the case is identified, I could more easily know for sure what parts.  It seems to be a pretty standard submariner style case so far.  A 6mm crown.   The sapphire is domed, not flat.    I guess I will have to just measure and hope for the best.  But I thought not all submariner style cases, are the same.   So far it seems to be close to it though.   In between the lugs is 20mm, etc.

Thank you for the tip, you are right that measuring is going to be the only way since Epos ignores all my emails.  Does Epos hate people who speak English or do they just hate people asking for replacement parts?

Also, where do I buy parts from?  I see crystals and dials, etc. all over ebay, etc.  But where do I find rubber gaskets?

Vac is in Florida, although since this is a gen dial watch, you could probably find a watchmaker close to were you live who could replace the crystal and dial for you. Pretty easy to find out the specs when it's disassembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, good fellows.

I have an update.  I took your advice and started measuring with my caliper and so far have discovered this......

The bezel insert is 36.5mm outer diameter and 30mm inner diameter.  So this means that the bezel insert, (and hoping the bezel mechanism itself), is a direct rolex 5517 match.

Unless this is a popular size for other watches.

Anyone have the rolex military 5517 exact case dimensions?    Would be interesting to know if they copied the case exactly, (but of course the case back itself is made by/for Epos.

Is the crown on a 5517 only 6mm?   I doubt it thought since that is an older sub watch.  So 5517 was probably a bigger crown.   Maybe Epos just chose the bezel insert as the 5517 size so it's easier to find parts instead of making them all.

Thanks, good fellows.

I have an update.  I took your advice and started measuring with my caliper and so far have discovered this......

The bezel insert is 36.5mm outer diameter and 30mm inner diameter.  So this means that the bezel insert, (and hoping the bezel mechanism itself), is a direct rolex 5517 match.

Unless this is a popular size for other watches.

Anyone have the rolex military 5517 exact case dimensions?    Would be interesting to know if they copied the case exactly, (but of course the case back itself is made by/for Epos.

Is the crown on a 5517 only 6mm?   I doubt it thought since that is an older sub watch.  So 5517 was probably a bigger crown.   Maybe Epos just chose the bezel insert as the 5517 size so it's easier to find parts instead of making them all.

All of the older Rolex sports watches had/have 6mm crowns the exception being the early no crown guard  subs such as the 6538 which has a 8mm "Brevet" crown and the early GMT's, 6542,1675,16750 which have 5.3mm crowns . So your 6mm crown is correct. I would bet that you are correct  about the bezel dimensions, the Rolex sized inserts are very readily available, and a small watch manufacturer could easily source them "Off the shelf" , rather than have them custom made.  

All of the older Rolex sports watches had/have 6mm crowns the exception being the early no crown guard  subs such as the 6538 which has a 8mm "Brevet" crown and the early GMT's, 6542,1675,16750 which have 5.3mm crowns . So your 6mm crown is correct. I would bet that you are correct  about the bezel dimensions, the Rolex sized inserts are very readily available, and a small watch manufacturer could easily source them "Off the shelf" , rather than have them custom made.  

Yes, thank you man.    And I discovered that it's many different "early submariners" that use my bezel insert size, not just the first one.  I have a lot to learn. LOL