When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner 116610 (Pearl replacement + PPP-Mod)

Avenue

Dear All,

I haven't posted in awhile, but here I am. :-) Hope you're all doing fine, I've been checking forums regularly of course, as always.

I would really like to hear your honest opinions my PPP-Mod and my Pearl Replacement. I have got these done, haven't done them myself; therefore I would like a review. ]

I've paid €80,- for the re-PPP and the Pearl replacement (incl. donor-pearl); therefore I'm seeking for a review. 

So, my Rolex has undergone a Pearl replacement due to the old one falling off (And it was untraceable, so this a new "donor-pearl") and it has gotten a PPP-Mod after the previous PPP-Mod I got done came off.  

I have taken pictures on a white (Rolex) booklet so you can see the difference between the "platinum" and the "white". 

In my opinion the marker behind the pearl hasn't been done correctly, neither has the "10" mark been done correctly. In my eyes they seem underfilled with Platinum paint. 

On to the pictures, these are pictures after I received the watch coming back from service. Please decide for yourself and comment. :-) 

IMG_7219.thumb.JPG.bdb1f617045cabee5e8cb

IMG_7218.thumb.JPG.6964bb854fd2ee4654ccdIMG_7217.thumb.JPG.b744223da6e9c93e60bcdIMG_7215.thumb.JPG.a99b403e9894e6f2b035fIMG_7214.thumb.JPG.01952330314c6ccb2ae30IMG_7210.thumb.JPG.ad238f402f5413888050aIMG_7211.thumb.JPG.1c0fd86b66a3cf7e1946fIMG_7212.thumb.JPG.05e8b4fae37ee9b915917 IMG_7213.thumb.JPG.a6c9d4e1fb00877db0f31

If anybody wants any other picture(s), please let me know and I will add them. :-) 

Thanks for helping me out. 

For clarity, it was me who did this PPP mod, in fact, the watch has been back to me several times for this PPP mod, as for some reason, this customer insists that the paint keeps coming off when he goes swimming with the watch on.  

No idea why this bezel insert is always failing to hold the paint, all other inserts I have done have been perfectly fine including my own watches.

20971638363_0eaf2e6b4d_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I didn't charge €80 for this mod, I charged €60, and that was with a new pearl which came from BK @ €25 euros.

I'm actually at a loss as to what this has turned out like that, and keeps failing, but after reapplying different PPP mods, and paints at no charge, I am walking away from this, there's nothing else I can do.

Heres my example, looks much better, so confused as to why yours looks like that, and wonder if you are using any chemical cleaner etc..

22136081050_a666d644a3_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

For clarity, it was me who did this PPP mod, in fact, the watch has been back to me several times for this PPP mod, as for some reason, this customer insists that the paint keeps coming off when he goes swimming with the watch on.  

No idea why this bezel insert is always failing to hold the paint, all other inserts I have done have been perfectly fine including my own watches.

20971638363_0eaf2e6b4d_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I didn't charge €80 for this mod, I charged €60, and that was with a new pearl which came from BK @ €25 euros.

I'm actually at a loss as to what this has turned out like that, and keeps failing, but after reapplying different PPP mods, and paints at no charge, I am walking away from this, there's nothing else I can do.

Heres my example, looks much better, so confused as to why yours looks like that, and wonder if you are using any chemical cleaner etc..

22136081050_a666d644a3_c.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Micky,

I just wanted to hear the opinions of the other people on this forum. I didn't put your name up there as this is not some kind of good advertisement, I love the rest of your work I have got done by you, namely: 

- BPH is too fast. +2 minutes /day sometimes. > Needs to be fixed.
- Crown doesn’t pop out until the time-setting feature. (Why I sent the watch to you in the first place :-P, most important issue!) 
-  I’m not sure but I’m guessing the rubber in my crown (the ‘clog’ thing), is messed up. I’m not 100% sure. But that might need replacement as well. > Rubber replacal and perhaps crown (Inspect the watch, I don’t know the problem) 
Security clasp (on the clasp) is poor, sitting at an angle, upper left bar/arm is bent out fractionally. >Needs straightening. 
- Screws in the bracelet are damaged (by me trying to tighten them with wrong tools) > Needs replacement. 
- I have two very ugly spots on my bracelet. > Complete case polishing/or brushing (I don’t know which of those 2 the sub should get!) 
 (also case back gasket) + Scratch removal on bracelet please.  
- If you open the clasp and move it (at the diver’s extension part) feels lose. > Needs tightening.

These are the things you've done for me in the past and they were done perfectly, as you know I was very happy about the results. Indeed, the PPP-mod had come off before, and no, obviously I don't damage my watch with any kind of chemical cleaner, I just rinse it under the sink. As i've stated; the pictures are taken after arrival. I hadn't touched the watch with a finger or a drip of water. This is how it came into my mailbox. You must have noticed this when you sent it to me, as it didn't come off "en route" to me; that's just impossible. Your example does indeed look much better. Maybe because it hasn't undergone trial/error before and there hasn't been multiple kinds of paint on the watch itself, and in my case, there has been. I'm not here to complain about you, in fact; you have done great work for me in the past as i've stated several times, and I have said so each time. I'm just disappointed with how my watch looks after the most recent "mods" and wanted to get some opinions/ideas from other people, without giving you a bad name. 

And indeed, I mentioned the total cost of the watch being delivered at my house including the PPP-Mod and the Pearl replacement. I also mentioned getting a new pearl; so it's not only for the PPP-Mod which I paid for, obviously. Speaking of the pearl, The colour is off and it's very noticeably a "bad" pearl. It has a bunch of flaws and it's broken on the inside. You've mentioned to me that the pearl wouldn't be "perfect" but this is not something I expected of "not perfect". The lume colour is even much different than my entire dial. 

I'm thinking to buy a new insert from BK (including pearl) and replace it with the one which is one right now. Does that sound like a good idea to you? 

Thanks Mick.

Edited by Avenue

Understood mate,. I was just clarifying, I'm wondering if a new insert would be a better option?  Its as if the one fitted has a chemical reaction to anything I put on there unlike others I've done.

Edit, yes, get a new insert altogether.  And yes, I agree, I am not happy with the last batch of pearls I purchased from BK, and the sad part was he didn't want to resolve after I complained to him about the, :(

Regarding my insert, its been washed with soapy warm water, and its been WR tested to 6ATM too, so its been in water, and not come off.

Edited by SSTEEL

Understood mate,. I was just clarifying, I'm wondering if a new insert would be a better option?  Its as if the one fitted has a chemical reaction to anything I put on there unlike others I've done.

Indeed what it looks like, because I am using nothing on the watch and it just comes like this and it looks like the paint is being "destroyed" by something and losing it's colour. I have contacted BK for a new bezel insert, he can supply my with a new V5 bezel (with "platinum" paint already on it) and of course a pearl on it. I've got no idea how to swap those myself, to be honest. Is it an easy thing to do? And do you recommend me getting a new bezel? 

Thanks Micky :)

I will fit the new ceramic insert for you, they are very easy to break, so best left to someone who has experience.  Your bezel assembly is perfectly fine, so no need to replace that Wil.

Sounds good Mick, thanks. That's very kind. So I should order the insert you say?