When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium Pam Question

ZainoDetail

Well In questioning which PAM to add to my collection (currently have an 005 and 212) I've decided that i want something with a sandwhich dial and while I really want a 47mm watch in my collection I'm leaning towards either a 111h or 177h currently.

I think the 177h would be a great addition as I don't have a titanium watch at all in my collection but I'm concerned with how the watch makers are creating the titanium finish on the watches.

I'm guessing it's not real titanium. My concern is that the finish will wear through eventually showing a different finish on those wear areas. Is this a potential problem or am I worried over nothing?

Thanks

Well In questioning which PAM to add to my collection (currently have an 005 and 212) I've decided that i want something with a sandwhich dial and while I really want a 47mm watch in my collection I'm leaning towards either a 111h or 177h currently.

I think the 177h would be a great addition as I don't have a titanium watch at all in my collection but I'm concerned with how the watch makers are creating the titanium finish on the watches.

I'm guessing it's not real titanium. My concern is that the finish will wear through eventually showing a different finish on those wear areas. Is this a potential problem or am I worried over nothing?

Thanks

i have an older pam036 and would be willing to bet it's titanium. i have a lot of experience with titanium in high end bicycle parts and quality knives and have been wearing a ti wedding band for 17 years and the 036 has all the qualities of ti as far as i can see. its also lighter than my 111 with the same size case, movement, display back.

ti itself is not expensive. it's an extremely common mineral. in the days of the old soviet union it was used to make shovels and hand tools! but it is generally more difficult to work with (particularly welding) than steel. that accounts for a lot of the cost difference in things like bicycles.

ti also comes in almost 30 grades/different alloys. in bicycles and knives you tend to get 3al/2-5v or in very high end stuff 6al/4v. i doubt if our reps are made of either of those alloys and have often wondered what grade they are made of? but if you buy a ti pam rep from one of our good dealers you should be confident you are getting 'real' titanium alloy :)

Thanks

I have a half dozen Ti watches...all gen and I have a rep 177H...it's definitely real Ti from my perspective. I would say go for the 177. Since the most recent PAM reps that are Ti in gen (Slytech chronos and the 194) have been repped in stainless, it's probably a good bet that the factories are moving away from using Ti. I belive Davidsen is working on a few Ti reps, so you may want to look into that.

Good luck,

JF

If your interested in a great TI PAM, checkout Davidsens thread on RWI in the Panerai section. Davidsen is cooking up a some new 1:1 Titanium PAM's.

~PAM036 (T-SWISS-T dial)

~PAM82 (Marina Militare Verspuchi Blue Dial)

~PAM 116 (Tobago Dial base)

~PAM??? (White dial pre-vendome PAM)

Allot of input on PAM details regarding, dial's, fonts, crowns etc gave been given by the RWI members to Davidsen for this project. Davidsen said to take all the comments in to account to create the best TI PAM's that have ever hit the streets. The prototype looks very promising, excellent 1:1 crown fat Crown Guard, good looking case...

:Jumpy:

I'll probably do the 177h when davidsen finishes up the corrections to the dial.

For some reason some of the pictures of the Titanium finish don't do it for me like the polished cases on the PAM's but it will add some variety to the collection as the 111h is too close to the 005 that I already have for me to justify owning both. The 005 was my first rep and even though it's not a great rep it'll probably never leave my collection.