When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Lacoste Shirts Review (purchased From Boaming)

Craytonic

This is my first review so comments and questions are of course welcome.

I purchased 10 lacoste shirts from Boaming for $140 USD shipped EMS. The transaction itself will be reviewed seperately after an issue is resolved.

All pictures are hosted on google Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/craytonic/LacosteShirtRepVReal please visit there for close-up shots.

I am very happy with the shirts. $14 a shirt is a great price for any shirt. However, they are not 1:1 and there are several flaws. I am probably the preppiest person on the board; I literally have a closet full of these shirts in various colors. I believe the lacoste shirt is the ultimate shirt, it fits perfectly. I have destroyed many of them with salt, sweat, and grass stains and wanted some cheap ones to wear when I knew they would be damaged. I keep Lacoste in business based on the white ones I purchase alone. I picked up a new one today for the purpose of this review; the real ones are $72. These reps will not be part of my main wardrobe, but I will leave some at the beach and some at other houses so I can pack a little lighter when I travel from place to place. The most obvious flaws to me in order of appearance are:

* The collar on the rep is nothing like the genuine. It does not fall correctly, and is a thinner material. It is way too light. I am not a "collar popper," but if you are one you could not do so with this shirt. This is hard to tell from the pictures, but trust me you know instantly when you put it on if you wear the real ones regularly (the material for the rest of the shirt is nice).

* the buttons do not hang open when undone. This is something else you can't tell from the pics but you notice the moment you put it on.

* The alligator is off in many ways

* The buttons on the dark colored shirt are the wrong color (should be dark) (correct on light shirts)

* The buttons are of lesser quality (and poor stiching)

* The stiching is inferior

Here are the shirts I received:

175038-8683.jpg

Fake on left, real on right. In these two pictures note differences in collar, stiching, and buttons.

175038-8684.jpg

175038-8685.jpg

On to the alligator, probably what people notice first. Up close, like most watches, the differences are very visible. The mouth is a different shape, the teeth are wrong, the tounge is too short. The tail is too fat and does not curve correctly. The legs are incorrect, they curve and should be straight. The squiggle down the middle is incorrect, and they added a hump to his back. Poor little fella! It seems it would be easy to 1:1 this but I guess not.

175038-8686.jpg

175038-8687.jpg

The sizing was very close to 1:1, if it was not 1:1. I was relieved that the shirt fit.

175038-8688.jpg

Here is a shot of the shirts from the back. Fake on left, real on right. Note the differences in the collar here and the inferior stiching.

175038-8689.jpg

Overall great shirt for $14. I will probably be ordering another ten of them; it is a great way to stock a closet in another city. BUT, it is innacurate in several areas, so don't expect to pass the gen off if someone looks closely.

Bottom line: great deal, good shirt. I apologize if the review was too negative, but I wanted to highlight all differences. I think it is a good deal for the money, keep in mind you can't get a $14 shirt at wal-mart. As long as someone is not 1 inch away they won't notice the difference (or they are a lacoste snob). But, you will notice the differences in how the collar falls and how it hangs open when the buttons are undone. For me, it is these little comforts that nag me much more than being off visually.

Please feel free to ask questions! I hope someone finds this short review helpful.

Edited by Craytonic

Thanks for the review...long time preppy here as well and i do love lacoste polos. I almost pulled the trigger on these thinking they might be somewhat better than what I find around thailand....hmmmmm, not so much...

I'll stick with the real ones...as the fakos I picked up on my trip are already showin there true quality.

cheers

what do you expect for 14$? if you want real 1:1 lacoste shirts, expect to pay 30$+ per shirt.

I got a great deal on Ralph Lauren shirts (GENUINE ralph lauren shirts!), cost less than 1:1 fake lacoste shirts and only 5$ more than fake ralph laurens. but noone here seemed interested. I sold almost all of them within a week to my friends and so on, I had over 30 of them. I now have 5 or 6 left.

IMHO it is ridicolous to pay 72$ for a polo shirt. it's just not worth it, because if you buy them in large quantities, you can even get genuine lacoste shirts for 30$ a piece.

what do you expect for 14$? if you want real 1:1 lacoste shirts, expect to pay 30$+ per shirt.

I got a great deal on Ralph Lauren shirts (GENUINE ralph lauren shirts!), cost less than 1:1 fake lacoste shirts and only 5$ more than fake ralph laurens. but noone here seemed interested. I sold almost all of them within a week to my friends and so on, I had over 30 of them. I now have 5 or 6 left.

IMHO it is ridicolous to pay 72$ for a polo shirt. it's just not worth it, because if you buy them in large quantities, you can even get genuine lacoste shirts for 30$ a piece.

Wow calm down; as I said many, many times in my review I thought it was a good deal for $14. I was really just curious as to what they were like, no one else that I know of has tried them out and I wanted to learn to spot the fake ones by getting a close look and get some spares to tear up.

I do not think it is ridiculous to spend $72 for a shirt (at one point I bought every lacoste color, but I think they have come out with more since then so I don't have the full lineup possily and mine are always scattered); hell I have plenty of shirts that cost several times that. They have a fit and feel that is perfect for me; Polo RL simply does not fit me as well (although probably fits other people better than Lacoste).

I think it has been proven many times here that it is a little base to say it is ridiculous to spend X amount on Y item.

Excellent review... Thanks

I also love Lacoste shirts to death and have quite a few of them myself, but I really do think the genuine article is worth it. I would never wear a fake around the golf club or during social events, but maybe I should pick up one or two of these for extra wear.

Fake clothing just has a certain thing to it I can't get over. I paid about $10 dollars a pair for fake D&G and Diesel jeans, and pretty much all the buttons on them fell off within a few months of infrequent wear, rendering them pretty much useless. Meanwhile, a pair of genuine Diesel jeans I've had for 3+ years still has plenty of life left, and I paid about $150 for them. So maybe, the genuine article is worth it in this case, as the fake ones lasted only a few times. (I hate to admit, but I have a huge closet full of expensive clothing, everything from D&G, dsquared, Diesel shirts and jeans, to Gucci suits and $150 sports jerseys).

Hehe.. This reminds me of the time my buddy bought a whole bag of Lacoste alligators.. Stick-on.. He stuck them on pretty much anything he owned.. And they fell off more often than not.. :) ..You look like three kinds of ass when your lacoste trademark fall off..

Wow calm down; as I said many, many times in my review I thought it was a good deal for $14. I was really just curious as to what they were like, no one else that I know of has tried them out and I wanted to learn to spot the fake ones by getting a close look and get some spares to tear up.

I do not think it is ridiculous to spend $72 for a shirt (at one point I bought every lacoste color, but I think they have come out with more since then so I don't have the full lineup possily and mine are always scattered); hell I have plenty of shirts that cost several times that. They have a fit and feel that is perfect for me; Polo RL simply does not fit me as well (although probably fits other people better than Lacoste).

I think it has been proven many times here that it is a little base to say it is ridiculous to spend X amount on Y item.

I was calm. No need to calm down.

I think its ridiculous to pay 72$ for those shirts, because most ppl only buy them (as Admin pointed out already) to show off on social events or at the golf club and not because they are such nice fabric. And you cant show off with a lacoste shirt that has an aligator as ridiculous as the one on your fake shirt (in fact it made me laugh out real loud, because it just looks so funny as if someone was trying to make a joke when he made that shirt).

If you want nice fabric, buy a Cashmere, Pashmina or Shahtoosh shirt. And not cheap, thin cotton lol; as a matter of fact, when I bought my dad a genuine lacoste shirt as a present (he has never had one of those) he asked me if it was fake, because the fabric felt so cheap and thin.

I have genuine Lacoste polos, too (I paid less than 72$ though), and RL and so on, and yes, maybe I sometimes wear them to show off. Dont get me wrong, but ff you are trying to tell anyone, that you wear a RL polo, because it "fits" you best, or because its made out of such nice fabric, you are only fooling yourself.

In fact, lacoste shirts, and shirts of another (much cheaper) brand have the same design and are cut from the same cloth. Though you couldnt wear this shirt at the local golf club or at social event,s because all your rich friends will whisper at each other 'ohh, look, there's mr. 10.000$-watch and look what he's wearing, he's earing a WalMart shirt.. oh my god, does he have no shame??'

I'd never try to argument "I wear RL because it's made of such nice fabric". Though I'd say that about my 300pounds sterling (which is like 600$) cashmere knit or my 150 pounds t-shirts that feel like a 2nd skin. Of course I paid for the design, too, but I mainly bought them because they feel so nicely.

Same goes for daily products such has shampoo or toothpaste. The same stuff that's in Wella is in cheaper products from a different brand. Price difference? A LOT!

I find Lacoste polos that are made in Peru to be of poor quality and inconvenient because you must dry them flat. The ones made in France are well made, but they are not available in the US. My favorite Polos are made by Brooks Brothers.

My expertise, you ask? I grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut- the Preppy capitol of the world.

I find Lacoste polos that are made in Peru to be of poor quality and inconvenient because you must dry them flat. The ones made in France are well made, but they are not available in the US. My favorite Polos are made by Brooks Brothers.

My expertise, you ask? I grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut- the Preppy capitol of the world.

The US ones are made in Peru and the European ones Made in France? really? I didnt know that!

I paid 49Euros for a lacoste shirt (on sale though at a lacoste store), which is less than the 72$ you pay in the US

The ones made in France are well made, but they are not available in the US. My favorite Polos are made by Brooks Brothers.

Strong agreement on the BB polo's - a favorite of mine too.

As for these Lacoste polo's...I was on the fence for a while due to the logo (too far off for me). For $14 though, it's tough to complain.

Enjoy the shirts. :)

I was calm. No need to calm down.

I think its ridiculous to pay 72$ for those shirts, because most ppl only buy them (as Admin pointed out already) to show off on social events or at the golf club and not because they are such nice fabric. And you cant show off with a lacoste shirt that has an aligator as ridiculous as the one on your fake shirt (in fact it made me laugh out real loud, because it just looks so funny as if someone was trying to make a joke when he made that shirt).

If you want nice fabric, buy a Cashmere, Pashmina or Shahtoosh shirt. And not cheap, thin cotton lol; as a matter of fact, when I bought my dad a genuine lacoste shirt as a present (he has never had one of those) he asked me if it was fake, because the fabric felt so cheap and thin.

I have genuine Lacoste polos, too (I paid less than 72$ though), and RL and so on, and yes, maybe I sometimes wear them to show off. Dont get me wrong, but ff you are trying to tell anyone, that you wear a RL polo, because it "fits" you best, or because its made out of such nice fabric, you are only fooling yourself.

In fact, lacoste shirts, and shirts of another (much cheaper) brand have the same design and are cut from the same cloth. Though you couldnt wear this shirt at the local golf club or at social event,s because all your rich friends will whisper at each other 'ohh, look, there's mr. 10.000$-watch and look what he's wearing, he's earing a WalMart shirt.. oh my god, does he have no shame??'

I'd never try to argument "I wear RL because it's made of such nice fabric". Though I'd say that about my 300pounds sterling (which is like 600$) cashmere knit or my 150 pounds t-shirts that feel like a 2nd skin. Of course I paid for the design, too, but I mainly bought them because they feel so nicely.

Same goes for daily products such has shampoo or toothpaste. The same stuff that's in Wella is in cheaper products from a different brand. Price difference? A LOT!

No Slay, my [censored] is bigger!

I have about ~20 of the real ones; I do think they are cut a little slimmer. If you want when I leave NYC for New Year's I can photo a Lacoste on top of a RL slim fit on top of a RL classic fit - all are cut differently. I have plenty of "better" shirts in my closet (you seem to equate quality with price), but I always reach for the lacostes because they are comfortable and breathe well for just bumming around when I'm not going to work or something else where I have to look "proper".

Cashmere is nice (I wore a cashmere sweater today when we went to Bergdorf's), but you would be crazy to wear cashmere anything outside in the summer on the beach - nothing really beats cotton or linen (excluding various high-tech fabrics but who wants to run around in under armour).

I have never bothered to dry them any special way, I just throw them in the dryer and they have turned out fine. Just wash in COLD or they will shrink.

Edited by Craytonic

BB makes great shirts, their slim-fit no iron shirts are the ultimate for travel.

No Slay, my [censored] is bigger!

really? mine is like 50 inches+, so yours must be humongous!

I have about ~20 of the real ones; I do think they are cut a little slimmer. If you want when I leave NYC for New Year's I can photo a Lacoste on top of a RL slim fit on top of a RL classic fit - all are cut differently. I have plenty of "better" shirts in my closet (you seem to equate quality with price), but I always reach for the lacostes because they are comfortable and breathe well for just bumming around when I'm not going to work or something else where I have to look "proper".

I never said RL and Lacoste have the exact same design, I said there are shirts that have the exact same design as lacoste shirts which are sold for a lot less ;)

When I'm "bumming" around at home or working in the shed, I wear shirts that cost 5$ or 10$ and not the expensive ones; right now I'm wearing a 15$ pajama, got it at a cofe store lol... very comfortable!! Though different ppl, different opinions. My sparring buddy always wears his 120$ Ralph Lauren polos when we fight for practise, and I always feel bad kicking him in the stomach, because I've already runined 2 of his shirts with my toe nails ;) My old wrestling coach would have probably kicked us off the team if we came to practise with 120$ shirts... I wasnt even allowed to make my hair properly for the team photo :lol:

These reps will not be part of my main wardrobe, but I will leave some at the beach and some at other houses so I can pack a little lighter when I travel from place to place.

You should read David Sedaris's book "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim". In it, he talks about a pretentious woman who said "My home, well one of my homes..." She had it down to an artform.

yes, it says, Lacoste and shirts of ANOTHER cheaper brand have the same design.

Since when does ANOTHER cheaper brand mean Ralph Lauren?

Or what were you trying to imply with your post?!

I had always thought of it that way; particularly w/ your love of RL and talk of its lower price in your first two posts it seemed to fit.

You try to do a review on something you bought on a whim to help people out a bit and give back and you end up with people giving you [censored] because they are _____ (insert drunk/bored/lonely or combination). Typical. I'm out for the night, happy new years!

Edited by Craytonic