When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sinn Reps

addscotland

Genuine models are not expensive. It is better that we have reps of watches that are really out of range as far as gen. prices go.

honestly i disagree ;)

i really love the sinn 656, but think it's overpriced for a basic eta pilots watch. a good quality eta rep could be made 99%+ and sell in the $200 range vs $700 plus for a gen.

i also do not buy reps that are way out of the range that i could possibly afford. me wearing a $10,000 or $20,000 or $50,000 watch is absurd. i have a very good job and have been there for 18 years and if i only wanted to own one or two watches could afford the gen of any rep i have :) but very few people in the newspaper business can afford a $50,000 watch...

i have to wonder if that's why the best reps are of 'mid' price watches (rolex, breitling, omega, iwc)? because most people feel the same way and know they could 'pull off' an SMP or a sub. and why the reps of $50,000 and up watches generally are lower quality and less accurate and don't sell as well?

Hmm, I don't know longshot. I'd still rather pay $700 for a genuine then $200 for a replica of it no matter how basic it is. Look at a similiary basic Panerai costing over $3400, suddenly the Sinn 656 looks like a quite decent deal. It is a cool looking watch.

By out of range prices I mean more like $10K+. I would not wear a rep of a $50K watch I think it would be silly unless you present yourself as someone who can afford it and I cannot afford $50K watch. I can afford $10K watch but I think it is silly to spend that much.

So as you do I have an income that allows me to buy genuine versions of all reps I own but that does not mean I would choose to spend $8K on a watch I like when I can as well enjoy a 98% version of it for $300 and when I get bored with it I won't feel as bad :-)

This Sinn you like looks pretty cool and it is a genuine you get for a price of 2 reps you'd get otherwise. $700 beats the $3400 base Panerai for sure.

I'll be a devil on your shoulder telling you to get that Sinn... ;-)

Hmm, I don't know longshot. I'd still rather pay $700 for a genuine then $200 for a replica of it no matter how basic it is. Look at a similiary basic Panerai costing over $3400, suddenly the Sinn 656 looks like a quite decent deal. It is a cool looking watch.

By out of range prices I mean more like $10K+. I would not wear a rep of a $50K watch I think it would be silly unless you present yourself as someone who can afford it and I cannot afford $50K watch. I can afford $10K watch but I think it is silly to spend that much.

So as you do I have an income that allows me to buy genuine versions of all reps I own but that does not mean I would choose to spend $8K on a watch I like when I can as well enjoy a 98% version of it for $300 and when I get bored with it I won't feel as bad :-)

This Sinn you like looks pretty cool and it is a genuine you get for a price of 2 reps you'd get otherwise. $700 beats the $3400 base Panerai for sure.

I'll be a devil on your shoulder telling you to get that Sinn... ;-)

actually i had a gen 656 on strap ;) i sold it because it was just not 'that' special to buy a gen pam001!

then decided the pam was not that special either :blink:

i do agree; i get 95% or more of the enjoyment i got out of my pam001 from my 036 or davidsen 5218-201a for 10% of the price :D

but i still think the most popular reps are of watches in the $1500 to $4000 max range. most people (at least those who know what they are **grin**) can pull them off. the only rep i ever worry about carrying off is the fm conquistador 2892, and it's such a good rep it should be the easiest to pull off!!!

but i still really believe that a sinn 656 or U1 or 756 rep would be a great seller.

Ahh, I see. In that case a $200 rep of it would be nice for you. :)

Funny thing is that I also (finally) decided that PAM is not that special. I still like them a lot but not enough (at least not anymore) to spend $4K on a genuine. I have 3 PAM reps I wear all the time, first one I got 21 months ago, modded it and still wear it with a lot of joy even as I write right now. I keep changing between 3 of them all the time :D

I was crazy about Panerai for past 2 years and finally I'm ready to move on, I almost bought a genuine and now I'm glad I did not, IWC Auqatimers are my next big thing. B)