When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

111 v4 from Noob - Lever not locking

rcampos

Hello experts,

I just received the 111 v4 that I purchased form Toro Bravo 3 weeks ago. The watch is stunningly beautiful, and looks go (I can't compare to v3 as I have not held one); however, the lever on the crown guard does not lock at all, and opens and closes freely. I can imagine that people have experienced this sort of imperfection before, so here it goes - is that any kind of relatively easy fix for this?

Photos will of course follow through shortly...

The hot glue fix is to use a electric glue gun, Put glue in the lever hole. Let it cool down. Put the lever back into the cg. Put the pin on top. Use a glue guns tip to heat the pin and slowly push it in place. It makes the lever be less loose.

The glue method makes it sometimes a bit messy and sometimes leaves glue residu on the cg/lever.

Non-messy alternative:

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=91320

You can also sand down the feet of the cg where they join the case for a tighter cg.

• Like 1

I doubt the problem is in the CG. Normally it is caused by the crown tube pressed too much inside the case. In that occurrence the only 2 ways is to put a thicker gasket between the crown and the tube or to work on the CG surface (where they go against the case) with a file to make the lever nearer to the crown...

you would think the TD might have said something, or do they not even lift the lever?... Anyways, am resigned to live with it as there seems to be no easy solution. I agree that the CG looks absolutely fine, including the ball bearing on it - I did notice that the crown does sit against the case more than in my other two watches when I lift the lever - so that's that.

Too bad. :(

you would think the TD might have said something, or do they not even lift the lever?... Anyways, am resigned to live with it as there seems to be no easy solution. I agree that the CG looks absolutely fine, including the ball bearing on it - I did notice that the crown does sit against the case more than in my other two watches when I lift the lever - so that's that.

Too bad.

Not that difficult. It is the very first mod I did on my very 1st rep, a Pam 164.

I used a large file kept flat on the table with a clamp and passed the CG slowly keeping it with 2 fingers carefully not to angle the grinding.

Another option is to remove the crown/stem and put 2 component epoxy glue on the top of the crown, in the middle of it and with the crown face up, in order to create a shape like this one:

s-l225.jpg

• 2 months later...

If adding spacers to fill, it/they have to be solid/metal, or it gives that spongy feel when snapping and rubber gasket or o-ring thin out over time, not good in the long run.

You have a correct crown.  It could be caused by a shorten lever itself at the roller end...  Replacing the crown guard unit is the best solution to your problem.