When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub-C 116610 questions

tframo

Hi guys.   This isn't a who has the best sub post, but I need some advice on gen sub c's

a good friend of mine is shopping around for a 116610 and has asked me for advice since he knows I'm into watches.   Only problem is that my gen sub c knowledge is lacking

my questions are:

besides condition, is there a difference in a newer production/serial vs  older?

are there any known issues with certain production dates or versions?

any red flags he should be looking for?

thanks again 

Tony 

Tony, I really don't know much about the SubC. However I would try to make sure that he keeps a few general advisories in mind when buying. watches like the 116610 are pretty common. I would suspect that the numbers out there are in the hundreds of thousands as they are approaching 6 years from first introduction. Theoretically they are all the same from outward appearances, however most Rolex enthusiasts know that Rolex makes small changes and upgrades that would go unnoticed except by a real WIS or someone who does a bit of research.

First off buy the seller. If it sounds the least bit fishy, run like hell, remember this is a pretty common watch, another one WILL come along!

Next, buy the condition, most of these will probably be in pretty nice condition, but be aware of a cracked insert, chipped crystal or dings and dents that may indicate a brief but hard life, and expensive to fix!

Third, a watch with all the boxes and papers, receipts, hang tags is worth more than one that has nothing. Easier to sell also if he decides it's not his "cup of tea"

Fourth, the early release watches (2010) are approaching the time for a recommended service. Rolex services are not cheap, especially from a RSC that wants to change everything, and charge like crazy. Not uncommon to get a 1k estimate for a complete service. So a watch from the same time period that has a documented service would be a better deal than and unserviced one. Also, buying from an AD or jewelry store that sells a lot of watches will most likely be more expensive, but most all of them will give him some sort of warranty as well as a "trade up" policy should he not like the 116610 and want something else, they will give him his money back on a trade, within reason and time, of course.

That's pretty much my advice, along with doing his homework and using common sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, panerai153 said:

Tony, I really don't know much about the SubC. However I would try to make sure that he keeps a few general advisories in mind when buying. watches like the 116610 are pretty common. I would suspect that the numbers out there are in the hundreds of thousands as they are approaching 6 years from first introduction. Theoretically they are all the same from outward appearances, however most Rolex enthusiasts know that Rolex makes small changes and upgrades that would go unnoticed except by a real WIS or someone who does a bit of research.

First off buy the seller. If it sounds the least bit fishy, run like hell, remember this is a pretty common watch, another one WILL come along!

Next, buy the condition, most of these will probably be in pretty nice condition, but be aware of a cracked insert, chipped crystal or dings and dents that may indicate a brief but hard life, and expensive to fix!

Third, a watch with all the boxes and papers, receipts, hang tags is worth more than one that has nothing. Easier to sell also if he decides it's not his "cup of tea"

Fourth, the early release watches (2010) are approaching the time for a recommended service. Rolex services are not cheap, especially from a RSC that wants to change everything, and charge like crazy. Not uncommon to get a 1k estimate for a complete service. So a watch from the same time period that has a documented service would be a better deal than and unserviced one. Also, buying from an AD or jewelry store that sells a lot of watches will most likely be more expensive, but most all of them will give him some sort of warranty as well as a "trade up" policy should he not like the 116610 and want something else, they will give him his money back on a trade, within reason and time, of course.

That's pretty much my advice, along with doing his homework and using common sense.

Thanks!  I figure since they went to random serial numbers it's going to be tough to date them.  I guess the newer the better when it comes to the ceramics 

Tony,

If they have paperwork, the sales date should be on the card. That should give you a ballpark idea as to when it was built. It may be a year older than the sales date if it came from a small dealer that doesn't have much turnover, but you know it isn't any newer than the sales date.

Get a scrambled serial sub. They are newer and will not need service so soon. The older ones are already due for service and most likely not been serviced. The 116610 sub has the new parachrom hairspring and the 16610 does not. The construction is the same on all 116610 reference watches. Always buy with the matching card and always trust your seller. No known issues on this model. 

Easiest way to buy a 116610 is to contact someone like David SW or Takuya. Both are trusted sellers on TRF and also have their own websites. I have bought from both and they are excellent. Great service and you can have the watch the next day. Plenty of these models out there with box, papers and warranty. Save some $ over buying from the AD.

Newer models most likely will have Rolex Warranty with them. Rolex changed warranty to 5 years after July 2015, so if warranty is important look for one after that. Watches prior to that had 2 year warranty. Production date does not affect this, but when it was first sold. These dealers buy them from AD's and with everything you get from the AD. I bought a brand new model and my name was on the original warranty. Only kept it a month...I am a vintage guy;)

The other 2 were 5 digit references with full sets but no warranty. I see used 116610's on their sites. If they don't have it, ask and they can usually get it pretty fast.

There are several types of dials that have been used with minor differences. As too many reps had it, I´d like to avoid the one with 300m no space (although this is just a personal thing).

Definitely take a loupe to the purchase and be nitpicky, it´s an expensive watch and it´s better to worry about the rehaut engraving alignment being 0,1 mm off before the purchase than after. When screwed in the crown on the gen will not be in a horizontal position as on pics. If he´s buying new from an AD he may ask for one that does it or is max 15% off until the first service.