When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5514 comex project

rka

I've decided to build a 5514 comex and like to share this project with you.

I already have the following parts:

- Whoopy Dial

- Athaya 702 Crown / Tube

- Swiss ETA 2846 Movement

- gen 5513 Insert

In addition I would like to use the following parts:

- good 5514 case

- good rep 93150 Bracelet

- Clark crystal

- WSO 580 endlinks

- TC 16610 Hands Set V2

The only problem I have is to source a good case. I have read that the HH cases are the best for 5514 builds. Unfortunately, I haven't found one so far. If you have one, please let me know. Otherwise, what cases can you recommend? Phong's are too expensive for the moment.

Getting an HH case will be next to impossible. I'd be surprised if there were any left out there that haven't already been used for a build. There weren't that many to begin with.

If you don't want to go Phong, then your next best bet is probably to contact Rolexfinder and see if he has any of the MBW cases left.

Your other option is Yuki. I think the caseback is better than the MBW (though still not great), but it's also more expensive.

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6924997/7292167.htm

Yeah, the MBW is a great starting case but not the best available. At the same time, Yuki is asking $650 for their case + $70 for a custom engraving (just got a quote a few days ago). I guess it depends on what level of perfection you're looking for. I think for an ETA movement, the MBW might be a better bet, especially if for another $300+ the Yuki still isn't perfect. The MBW will need to have the crown/tube swapped, crown guards reshaped and lug holes drilled (if you care about those things). But it's more of a refinement, not a complete rework like a cartel case would need. Plus, you could always sell the dial and movement of the MBW and get some of your $ back too. As far as a bracelet goes... good luck. I have not found any rep to my liking. They all have sharp edges or poor markings. I have not tried a Yuki bracelet yet.

Thanks for your help. The only concern I have with the mbw are possible customs issues because I'm located in the EU.

What about going with a cartel and adding a HEV? But then I would have to add an aftersales bezel assembly to fit the gen insert, correct?

Maybe there is someone with a HH case left ;)

I have one of the last unused HH cases. I also have a whoppy dial, gen hand set (SL), gen 5513 insert, Atheya tube and crown.  I've always loved TomHorn's build and that's what's given me inspiration. I still need a gen (or close to it) plexi, a solid Swiss movement and someone to lume my dial (to match gen SL hands). I will also need a decent bracelet and the WSO endlinks. I've been thinking of starting a thread about the build where everyone can join in and help and watch the progress. SpeedyG is a friend and lives within an hour from me. Sorry to hijack this thread but it got me interested and excited again! If there is enough interest I'll start my own thread.

Sead from supermirrors uploaded pictures of the new cartel 5514 and 1665: https://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/298281-sub-COMEX-vintage-with-date-and-no-date-UPDATED-CASESET

Would be great if someone can chack these cases an tell me whether the 5514 case would be good to start my 5514 build. Unfortunately it looks like they used the same mid-case for the 5514 and the 1665?

7 hours ago, rka said:

One more question: are the tc sub hands v2 fine or do i have to look for the v1?

Neither are "perfect" so you can go with either.

Having said that, IMO the v1 hands are a bit flatter, and thus closer to gen for the 5514. You can also use Clark's or Yuki's.