When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking To Invest A Little Cash

Dutchy

Thanks again my friend! Really appreciate it! Will check it out when I get to Holland (venezuela is too unsteady to use financial institutions).

Floris - it ranges. I would inerview 2 or 3 Planners and ask what their investment processes are as well as how they get paid and what they charge. They expect to be asked these questions. It does range but on average .5 to 1% is average.

Best of luck.

CJ, are you familiar with American Funds?

What is your opinion of them?

Thanks!

I don't like to generalize so I cannot say I like or dislike them however:

The first thing I look at the the company that offers the funds and determine if I am happy to do buisness with them ( this is a big process). Then I look at the managers who run the fund and I want to understand thier history and if they work for the company or if they are subcontracted. Then I look at they type of fund it is as they are all different and I look at the style of management. I look to see that all this is suitable for my clients and that it would work for them in their portfolios. Finaly I look at the returns of the fund in relation to all the other things I investigated first. Consistancy if a big issue for me. I don't care what it did last year so much as I care how consistant the performance is and how it performs in bad times.

This can be a long process but once I have done this work I can sleep at night. When you do proper due diligance you rarely have to fire a manager (or sell a fund).

I hope this helps.

and yes there are lots of good fund managers and funds in the US. I am in Canada however.

Apple has been under investigation lately for some problems with stock options; either a bargain price now after recent drops or up for more trouble (world should see the new products on the 7th) you decide :)

Ultra-slim MacBook to be released on the 9th? :D

see, my advice could have made you rich! Apple is up about 10% (thats a lot of Money for a few days). But take my advice and sell your apple stock NOW, wait a few days, till it goes down to 85-88$ and then buy again, and hold it till BEFORE (!!) the iPhone launches, because it wont hit the market as they expect (IMO) - its just too expensive to be a major success!

You are giving advice on something you aren't willing to bet on yourself & telling someone to buy a stock you think is doomed to go down in the future (yes, I know you are saying it will go down after release, but if you are right you don't think the market would choose your view soon enough)?

That said, 10m units is nothing.

You are giving advice on something you aren't willing to bet on yourself & telling someone to buy a stock you think is doomed to go down in the future (yes, I know you are saying it will go down after release, but if you are right you don't think the market would choose your view soon enough)?

That said, 10m units is nothing.

Those who I have given advice, know WHY I did not buy Apple stock. I would have gladly bought apple stock last week.

Whats the problem if it will go down in the future if you know the date WHEN it will/might go down? You have enough time to sell all your stock before it, and buy it right after its down at the bottom. Then you keep your stock until its high again, or forever if you think they will perform good in the future. I dont get your point, really?

The market will chose it's view, when they have FACTS! Noone will sell their apple stock just like that before Apple anounces how many phones they have sold. I said, if you want to be on the safe side, sell your stock before apple gives out their numbers. If they sell more then expected, you will most likely make just a bit profit but you wont lose 10% because the stock went down a lot, if they sell much more than they expected, you will still have the small profit, you just wont have the 10% the stock will go up AFTER they tell those positive numbers.

It's all about evaluating risks! I'm not here to evaluate anyones risks, I can just give them some advice how I would do it!

For those interested in investing or are already investors... just keep an eye on YML, NWE, ADY, KOV and do your own reasearch!!

Other stocks to keep your eye on are AED, CDU, RFG, ARH, ARQ, AZA, BMX, IGO, EPG, ISS, TAP. However, make sure you look at the graph as some of them have already moved quite a lot!!!

Disc: I hold AED, CDU, ARH, GGG (recently sold ADY, AZA)

I am no expert so don't just go out and buy them... but if you are keen on getting started in trading yourself... you can paper trade... and can just start by keeping an eye on these stocks!

• 5 months later...

And to think when I first saw this thread I considered buying some way out of the money call options to expire a month or so after the iphone was supposed to come out... but all my capital was tied into other trades (that went bad...) just to illustrate how the trade could have gone - - I have gone and had a look at a trade - on the 25th of January you could have bought one Jan08 150 call contract for $1.60 - which would mean if it gets above 150 at expiration you make money (but you can sell it any time) as of right now, it is worth $8.80. Yes, the stock has gone up 50% in half a year, but the profit on options trading aaple would be about 500% currently and for a profit at expiration of the option, the stock price would still need to go up $20.

But I digress, it is interesting to see what has happened with the stock price after all that discussion back in January.

Yeah slay apple totally crashed.... I mean up 50% for less than 1/2 a year........ :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

good thing you didn't short... :o

you can read, correct? i NEVER said apple would crash or anything the like! i never said not to buy apple stock. please use your braind and READ before you put things in my mouth i never said!

WHAT I SAID WAS: "buy apple, keep it till after a few days of the macworld, sell it, buy some mopre and keep it till the iphone is released, then sell it and buy again later". the iphone wont be a big success in europe. it wont come with UMTS (i had a UMTS phone more than 3 years ago and that phone could make video calls, UMTS is more than standart, especially for internet apps! how [censored] ridicolous is it to praise the [censored] safari when the phone is slow as [censored]? when there's wireless lan around i most likely have a notebook or am at home, no use for an iphone! jobs sais UMTS modules are too big? BULLSH1T, my w880i is small as fcuk and thin like a Nano) and germans are not used to pay 500Euros for a cell phone. germans chose a CONTRACT first and then the phone. you get most high end phones for 1euro if you get a 2 year contract. SOME might cost you like 100 with a contract, but those phones can do a lot more than the iphone! only 3% said they might buy the iphone, which is really not much if you consider how much it was in the news etc. and most of them probably didnt even know the iphone would come without UMTS and would bring a very expensive contract with it.

the ARPU is about 30$ in germany. in america its about 50 to 60$. making calls here is more expensive aswell. a text message costs 20cents, a minute up to 70cents, there is usually no such thing as unlimited mobile to mobile unless you get an expensive contract. same goes for nights and weekends.

in long term i believe apple will be very successfull. i'm not saying dont buy apple, i'm just telling you how to get the most money out of it by trying to predict whats going to happen!

if you had followed my advice, you would have made a LOT of money right now! I said buy apple before the MacWorld, then sell it a few days after, then buy some more and sell it after the iphone is released. if you start using your brain and look at the chart of apple stock, you would see that this was the perfect way to do it, until now. ( http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=6m )

iphone can be a success in america, but for germany (biggest market in europe!) i highly doubt it! other european countries besides france and the UK wont even get it until 07 because apple couldnt find partners. vodafone declined the offer, because apple was too greedy.

• 1 month later...
It is a little different when you put the arrows in afterwards...

if you actually think you can time market moves I can think of a lot of quant funds who lost big last week who would love to hire.... Oh wait, PhDs from MIT still can't do it right...

I put arrows there where I said BEFORE to buy/sell stock. Of course I couldnt EXACTLY time the moments, but my timelines where accurate whithin days/weeks. I told you about selling/buying windows and those were exactly right.

Right now I wouldnt invest in anything :lol: too risky.

btw. is anyone here doing CFDs? I only need like 5k in the bank and can trade stock worth 500k =)