When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

correct domed crystal for 7032 Home plate?

dpap

So, does anyone know what is the right plexi for a 7032? I have a DW 7032. I got a gen 128 off ebay but it is the flat/beveled version not the domed one like DW's crystal. 

Does anyone know where to buy a domed version? Does it have the same reference number?

yes, I figured that I need to shave the bezel

The reason why I thought that there existed a domed crystal is because I have bought another watch from the forum - a black dialed 7032 which If I remember correctly   was originally  built by Ephry73 -- that has a domed crystal that the seller claimed was gen. Perhaps it was a different model with the same id...

The home plate black dialed Tudor I built had the t128 from the group buy intact and the DW unit. I was waiting for a black plexi bezel to use the unit from the group buy. I believe that group buy was for the same gen spec crystal phong sells.

You can still search my sell thread and look at the pictures. I haven't deleted anything just to make sure there's always proof. I can't say what was done to the watch after I sold it though. I miss it.

I currently have a DW 7032 case with a domed crystal and no cyclops fitted to it. Was going for a different build. Unfortunately I can't tell you what model it is because it was in a box I have full of plexus gen and aftermarket. Looks like a sure fit t19 style but works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ephry! 

Ok, I do have your watch, but it has a domed crystal. Hence, it seems that the seller never installed the phong crystal. I can't find now the original sales thread.

In any case, I installed the gen crystal on my other tudor. It was tricky sanding the bezel down (it took me almost an hour!) but now everything fits well.

The profile of the crystal is quite different than the stock DW, the height is lower

To install a gen spec plexi to a stock DW midcase and bezel you have two issues

As stated rehaut is too small in diameter so can be built up with metal tape to the outside

Then the plexi OD is too large for the ID of the DW bezel so you have to trim the inside circumference of the bezel to open it up

When yo do this you move the numbers closer to the inside edge!

Alternatively install a gen spec bezel also from WSO or other seller in NYC

Many gen owners did install a non cyclop plexi which is an easier straight fit mod

Orchi did a thread on TRF or VRF

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tipitapitalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys! It seems I have the old-style DW case, so the crystal fit the rehaut perfectly. I just had to trim the bezel a bit.

Even though I like the cyclops, if I can find a no-cyclops domed version may try that on my other watch.

Photos, before and after:

_DSC6851.jpg

_DSC6852.jpg

_DSC6853.jpg

_DSC1773.jpg

_DSC1771.jpg

_DSC1772.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dpap said:

Thanks guys! It seems I have the old-style DW case, so the crystal fit the rehaut perfectly. I just had to trim the bezel a bit.

Even though I like the cyclops, if I can find a no-cyclops domed version may try that on my other watch.

Photos, before and after:

_DSC6851.jpg

_DSC6852.jpg

_DSC6853.jpg

_DSC1773.jpg

_DSC1771.jpg

_DSC1772.jpg

Lucky you! The bezel looks still great though, how much did u have to remove?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dpap said:

Hard to say. I used a dremel to do it. I was taking my time to do it so it took me approximately an hour. But it was not that much. My guess is that I took less than 1mm...the bezel still looks fine I think

I was comparing you bezel to the gens and it looks like its still the same space between the dots and the end of the bezel. Good job!

So your saying DW did a midcase that accepts a gen Oem plexi on the rehaut without any mods?

Or is that an aftermarket phong plexi?

That's the first time I've heard or seen that possibility in many years and scores of builds across all forums.

How do you recognise that case then?

It seems illogical as the stock DW plexi is a completely different size?

Are you sure your case has not been modded by a previous owner?

Intriguing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tipitapitalk

The case was sold to me as a modded DW case. But I don't see how it is possible to increase the diameter of the rehaut to fit a gen plexi. 

The new plexi is (supposedly) gen, and it did fit the rehaut of the case exactly, so they must have had the same ID as the stock plexi. Of course, the OD was different, so I had to shave the bezel down. 

The previous modder had put a smidgen of glue to secure the stock crystal in place. It is possible this took care of the amount of play between the new xtal and the rehaut. See also Lhooq's post here:

https://rwg.cc/topic/123233-dw-7032-work-in-progress?page=3

I read somewhere that early DW cases had different dimensions than the later ones, but I cannot find that thread now.

The other thing I did was freeze the bezel before installing it, that helped expand it a tiny bit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...