When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Exact diameter of rehaut in 5513 Case?

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.   I am going to build a watch using a new Cartel 5513 case.  What is the exact size of the rehaut supposed to be if that is what creates the water tight seal against a low dome crystal which I plain on using?

I'm going to try to make the watch as water resistant as possible.  I will use a new Athaya crown so I will properly seal the threads and also will use good siliconed gaskets .

So my only concern for planning the build is getting a tight-ass seal on the crystal.   So may I ask what should the dimensions of the rehaut and the crystal should be for a tight original style fit?

That way..... let's say the rehaut on a Cartel 5513 is a bit too small.... then maybe I can find a slightly thicker crystal?

I don't want to use glue.. Since glue will dissolve in saltwater often and is messy.

thanks for any advice.

Edited by RickFlorida

The 'case neck' where the crystal fits is supposed to be 28.2mm outside diameter...if genuine spec. Where the trouble begins (assuming the neck is 28.2mm) is with crystals and crystal retainer bezels (inner bezels). Almost every aftmkt number 19 crystal is different, some will fit and some will not. Besides that, some case makers may have a genspec case neck and use an odd spec crystal along with an odd spec inner bezel. This equals trouble as there is no telling who might have a suitable replacement crystal.

I found only one brand of aftmkt crystal that is always the same...GS. Unbranded crystals from supply houses and internet sellers may be the same from batch to batch or not. The catch is GS 19 crystals come in three sizes:  PA 462-66 (30.45mm)   PA 462-67 (30.48mm)    PA 46220A (30.30m), more if you count the 'hi dome' models.   You also will need a precision digital caliper, not a HK cheapie. Last but not least...you need a good crystal press with metal dies and develop a 'feel' for the proper fit. After you press the inner bezel down over the crystal (assuming it 'feels' right) take a 10x loupe and a bright light and look closely all the way around the crystal skirt for cracks by looking down through the sidewall of the crystal. If the inner bezel was too tight, the sidewall of the crystal will crack but it may not show without a close look.

After you know what size and brand of crystal will fit your case/inner bezel combo you can go from there. My advice is to find what fits and buy at least three if you plan to keep the watch. Btw, it's not cheap or easy if the first few crystals do not fit so maybe you will be lucky and hit a good combo first or second try. I have maybe 30 assorted number 19 crystals from genuine to Sternkreuz, GS, Best Fit, Clark, ST etc and have tried them all on various projects. I remember on one of my MBK '5513' projects I ended up with an ST/Clark bezel kit (same thing) and a GS crystal (?? on the p/n). The original MBK inner bezel would fit the GS crystal but the rotating bezel was not a good fit on the inner bezel etc, etc so I went to the ST/Clark kit. So far, so good.

I posted a full dose of what to expect because it sounded like you wanted the watch to be water resistant.

Crystals:   http://www.ofrei.com/page419.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, automatico said:

The 'case neck' where the crystal fits is supposed to be 28.2mm outside diameter...if genuine spec. Where the trouble begins (assuming the neck is 28.2mm) is with crystals and crystal retainer bezels (inner bezels). Almost every aftmkt number 19 crystal is different, some will fit and some will not. Besides that, some case makers may have a genspec case neck and use an odd spec crystal along with an odd spec inner bezel. This equals trouble as there is no telling who might have a suitable replacement crystal.

I found only one brand of aftmkt crystal that is always the same...GS. Unbranded crystals from supply houses and internet sellers may be the same from batch to batch or not. The catch is GS 19 crystals come in three sizes:  PA 462-66 (30.45mm)   PA 462-67 (30.48mm)    PA 46220A (30.30m), more if you count the 'hi dome' models.   You also will need a precision digital caliper, not a HK cheapie. Last but not least...you need a good crystal press with metal dies and develop a 'feel' for the proper fit. After you press the inner bezel down over the crystal (assuming it 'feels' right) take a 10x loupe and a bright light and look closely all the way around the crystal skirt for cracks by looking down through the sidewall of the crystal. If the inner bezel was too tight, the sidewall of the crystal will crack but it may not show without a close look.

After you know what size and brand of crystal will fit your case/inner bezel combo you can go from there. My advice is to find what fits and buy at least three if you plan to keep the watch. Btw, it's not cheap or easy if the first few crystals do not fit so maybe you will be lucky and hit a good combo first or second try. I have maybe 30 assorted number 19 crystals from genuine to Sternkreuz, GS, Best Fit, Clark, ST etc and have tried them all on various projects. I remember on one of my MBK '5513' projects I ended up with an ST/Clark bezel kit (same thing) and a GS crystal (?? on the p/n). The original MBK inner bezel would fit the GS crystal but the rotating bezel was not a good fit on the inner bezel etc, etc so I went to the ST/Clark kit. So far, so good.

I posted a full dose of what to expect because it sounded like you wanted the watch to be water resistant.

Crystals:   http://www.ofrei.com/page419.html

Damn, just dropped some knowledge on us!

• Like 1

There are 2 types of "case necks" on the 5513/5512.  Pre 1966-ish, the outside of the rehaut wall was straight...  Diameter was roughly 28.05-28.10mm.   

After 1966, the outer rehaut was "stepped".  The top 1/2 portion of the rehaut was wider and was roughly 28.2mm as automatico has indicated.  The lower 1/2 was still 28.05-28.10mm.  I imagine Rolex made this change to improve water tightness.  The stepped design creates more "tension" on the inside wall of the crystal and the top 1/2 of the rehaut (in particular the lower corner lip of wider section) "bites" into the softer acrylic material of the plexi after the retaining ring is installed.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, guys!  I really appreciate it.

I want to take my time building this 7928 using a new 5513 Cartel case.  I have fabrication skills to a degree so I could even weld or braze in thin sleeves of metal if I had to in order to bring the case closer to spec.

But, if I can simply find the right fitting crystal, that will be easier.

So if I want a low dome crystal, there are various brands and slightly different sizes, that is good to know.   

Who makes the most gen. like fitting bezel, retaining ring, and tension ring combo?  I heard WSO is not bad, but then I read Clarks is OK except the tension ring is too thin or too thick.  

What might make it easier than explaining is can someone please share a link or file that has diagrams with exact thickness of all the parts on a 5513?   

(Like the dimensions of the proper tension ring, and the dimensions of the case, etc.)

With 30 years of the 5513, there has to be an "exploded" diagram showing tolerances/sizes.

Thank  you!

Rick