When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Your "new Watch" Routine?

Devedander

So asside from shredding tape and plastic all over the place, what do you do when you get your watches?

I figure check the casback, hand alignment, wind through all the days, check the corwn at each set location and tighten it down and check any screws.

Then for SS I have found all my watches have sharp edges so I am working on filing down all the sharp edges to a more pleasant feeling corner.

I have heard of people tearing the whole watch down to pieces and oiling, polishing etc every part... do tell!

Guest chronomat123

For reps, I do the same routine as yours plus refinishing the case and bracelet to the best of my cretan abilities. Then I shoot 50 pictures of it, LOL.

As for genuines-- I just throw em on. And 50 pictures here, too.

First I pick up the package to feel how heavy it is... if it feels light i immediately get worried that it's a piece of crap. Next, I make sure it works and put it on to see how it looks. Lastly, time for a strap change because the rep strap is usually not up to snuff although lately i've been getting pretty good quality.

1. Give her a careful shake to check for loose parts.

2. A few winds if necessary, then Check for a moving second hand & listen to her heart.

3. Check the alignment of the dial,...

4. I set the time to 6 and check the date wheel,..

5. Wind her up, and set her aside for few hours to check timekeeping,...

Finally if all is well,.. I check her strap or band..then I size her and mount her..... :D

For screw-in crown models, clean the threads and lube with silicone grease. This goes a long way to improving functionality and reliability. :p Also remove the case back and lube the seal.

Other stuff, remove bracelet and give the watch a good cleaning. I usually install new spring bars or quality after market strap screws on Pams. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but these watches usually arrive filthy from the factory. :o

I immediately wind it & set it on a watch winder for the next few days occasionally popping the back to regulate the time, as close to perfect as I can get it before wearing it. As soon as that's done, check & grease all the gaskets & O-rings, then pressure test it & wear it. If necessary, I'll do all the immediate mods I can (i.e., bezel insert, CGs, etc).

Edited by gioarmani