When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please Suggest Basic Tools For General Rep Maintenance And Polishing

jj69

I searched the archive and found only one short thread on this subject from May. If there are other threads or FAQs I missed, please feel free to provide a link…

Does anyone have a list of all the basic tools every rep collector should have handy? I have no intention of working on movements, but I would like sufficient tools for bracelet sizing and disassembly (for cleaning/polishing). Ultimately, I would like to be able to remove a movement from the case for hand and dial removal/replacement.

I’m assuming basic things like small screwdrivers, a link “pin pusher,” tweezers, etc. would be on such a list, but are there specific brands and models I should look for? Perhaps there’s a good basic watch tool kit out there someone can recommend?

Can someone suggest a specific inexpensive link removal tool/“pin pusher”? There are lots of them on eBay for $5 plus an arm & a leg for shipping.

Do I need a case back remover, or is duct tape good enough? Again, can someone suggest a specific, economy model?

What about polishing? I noticed someone mentioned a “Cape Cod” jewelry polishing cloth. Would that be sufficient for all polishing needs? Would the same cloth work for steel and titanium cases? Should brushed steel be polished differently?

How about more advanced cleaning of steel and titanium bracelets? Is there some kind of solution you can use?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

You'll get a dozen different answers depending on whom you ask - some folk prefer 'pro' tools, others are happy with whatever gets the job done. Horses for courses...

If you're going to be removing hands and dials, it's probably worth getting something half decent I would imagine.

For case backs, rolled up duct tape or "sticky balls" come recommended. Might be worth a search here for sticky balls.

"Cape Cod" is recommended too - do a search for that term because I've seen it discussed at length.

And since you're in the US, it might be worth checking out Birdman's Tools section on the forum.

Narikaa also sells some tools (inc shipping) from the UK.

If you're looking at the high end tools, there are some links to online suppliers in the links section under watch tools.

Best of luck!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Joshua just got an horological kit complete with screwdrivers, magnifying glass, polishing cloth, the works!

The price is an affordable $68US with 100% free shipping (A savings of $25US)

http://perfect-clones.com/hq10002-multipur...ing-p-2287.html

If I was buying one, I would buy that one.

Please note that this kit doesn't include hands remover.

Thanks for the tip, Corgi. The tools in that kit look VERY similar to the tools in the kits listed for sale on eBay by other Hong Kong sellers. The eBay prices appear lower, except they don't come in a fancy box. I'm assuming they're the same thing, but I could be wrong.

Joshua just got an horological kit complete with screwdrivers, magnifying glass, polishing cloth, the works!

The price is an affordable $68US with 100% free shipping (A savings of $25US)

http://perfect-clones.com/hq10002-multipur...ing-p-2287.html

If I was buying one, I would buy that one.