When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We Have People Watching Over Us

Everythingape

We need to have the obvious stated to us once in a while..

You've all seen 'em..

Good for a few chuckles at least. :)

Common Good

Take a look at the other years..

A warning on a bottle of dried bobcat urine used to keep pests away from garden plants: “Not for human consumption.”

This is a site dedicated to "Restoring Common Sense to American Law".

The wild lawsuits in America (and elsewhere, no doubt) will eventually result in higher cost on the consumer level..

In america they simply HAVE to do it, because america has such wonderful laws, that parents who lost a child, because they thought that their kid could actually FLY off the rooftop with the superman costume, can sue the company that produced the product for NOT warning them that the product does not give anyone the ability to fly...!

It's always funny when you buy products that have warnings in different languages on them. It usualy has warnings in a few languages on them, very SHORT warnings, the most important ones. Maybe 1 or 2 warnings max. When it comes to "USA:" it has more warnings - only for americans - than for all the other 10 languages combined.

In america they simply HAVE to do it, because america has such wonderful laws, that parents who lost a child, because they thought that their kid could actually FLY off the rooftop with the superman costume, can sue the company that produced the product for NOT warning them that the product does not give anyone the ability to fly...!

Sorry, I don't believe these are all real warnings. I need more than a funny email to show me that these are all genuine warnings.

If anyone can find the actual news item of a kid's parents suing a costume company cos their kid died trying to fly, I'll eat my hat.

Sorry, I don't believe these are all real warnings. I need more than a funny email to show me that these are all genuine warnings.

If anyone can find the actual news item of a kid's parents suing a costume company cos their kid died trying to fly, I'll eat my hat.

as for the superman costume, there is actually a whole book about this and other stupid things. take a look yourself:

http://www.amazon.de/Wearing-This-Garment-...e/dp/0743244753

now eat your hat!

as for there being more warnings for americans than for all other nations combined on certain products, the living witness is me. I have seen this many many times. Especially on beach gear.

I didn't mean for this to turn into another "attack USA".. ..our friendly cousins to the west. ;)

But I do think most of these warning are made to prevent people seizing the opportunity of lawsuit abuse..

I have no doubt people are looking for a way to "score big" against the big brand names.

Oh BTW: Arsenal beat Liverpool 3-1 :)

as for the superman costume, there is actually a whole book about this and other stupid things. take a look yourself:

http://www.amazon.de/Wearing-This-Garment-...e/dp/0743244753

ok, I don't have the book, so let's look at the examples as quoted by Amazon ...

America's famous teenage stalkers of stupidity are back! From the authors of You May Not Tie an Alligator to a Fire Hydrant, here is a collection of 101 of the dumbest product warnings you'll ever see.

The infamous 1994 McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit has spawned a veritable industry of "hot" warnings, from Kellogg's Pop-Tarts admonition that "if pastry is overheated, frosting/filling can become extremely hot and could cause burns" to the Black Cat Fireworks label: "Caution: flammable. Do not put in mouth." If, on the other hand, you manage to escape the heat with a trip to the beach, be warned that a twenty-inch beach ball is "NOT a lifesaving device." Kids (and maybe even parents) might be forgiven, however, for thinking that Mr. Bubbles Body Wash for Kids of All Ages would be okay to use if they missed the warning label: "Caution. Keep out of reach of young children."

In the brave new world of technology, users frustrated by the gobbledygook of users' manuals will be relieved that their warning labels at least make sense: the Sun StarOffice End User License Agreement warns users that "software is not designed, licensed or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility," while the SGI IRIS Indigo Workstation manual tells you, "Don't dangle the mouse by its cable or throw the mouse at coworkers." And for those who just can't quite figure out what to do with some of their new purchases, this might help: "Use Gold Dial as you would ordinary soap" explains the Dial soap label.

The infamous 1994 hot coffee lawsuit? This would be the 1992 Liebeck v. McDonald's case, I presume. It has no relevance here as there were already warnings on the coffee cups. Strawman. Oh, and don't get me started on the public perception of the Stella Liebeck case.

Hot pies? Yes, sugar can get way hotter than you'd expect - this is a valid warning.

Fireworks? Yes, don't put them in your mouth as the ingredients can be toxic. Don't read too much into the warnings, as they don't mean don't put in your mouth when lit. Duh.

Beach Ball? Don't throw one to a drowning person as it'll just tire them out trying to get purchase.

Bubble Bath? Yes, keep out of the reach of kids as you don't want them drinking it. Another duh.

Software? The nuclear facility warning is standard across all software. No, really. Look at any piece of software. It makes sense.

Mouse? The SGI manuals had several humorous parts just to stop people from getting bored.

Gold Dial? I fail to see how this is unusual.

As you can see, it's a [censored] book that merely tries to be funny.