When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spline tools for rolex or after market crown tubes

RickFlorida

Hi Gents,

It's been a while but I need to finish my 7928 replica project.   Anyways.... I'm kind of confused about which internal spline tool to get in order to install an Athaya 702 crown.    

Here is what I understand or at least think I understand......         I have a new generation Cartel 5513.       To remove that crown tube I could simply do the rat tail file trick or screw extractor trick to remove it.    So I don't necessarily have to source that spline tool, although I suspect it's the 3.00 mm internal spline rolex tool?       Now here is the kicker.....   I bought an Ebay rolex tube removing tool for the 7030 which I think is a 3mm internal spline tool.   It does NOT fit the Athaya crown Tube.        So can someone please confirm for me.....   Does the 2.7mm rolex internal spline tool fit the Athaya crown tube?  I ask because while one person posted in a previous thread that it does.... I have never seen anyone else mention what tool to use on Athaya 702 crown tube.   There is a dual rolex spline tool set on Ebay that has two sizes which I think are the 2.7mm and the 3mm commonly used rolex crown tube tool sizes.  That may serve my purpose.... But Adrian says his tube doesn't use a rolex size?

The real confusion is that Adrian himself who is kind enough to respond to emails says it uses a torx bit size and NOT a rolex spline tool size.  WTF?      Maybe there is a miscommunication because when I look at the crown tube under magnification it seems to have a lot of teeth than any standard torx bit.  But then again I'm not used to looking at small torx bits.

So many people build with Athaya 702 tubes but I can't find a direct confirmation of the tool.   Anyone have any ideas on what actual tool fits the Athaya 702 crown tube so I can install it?

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by RickFlorida

First of all let me tell you this- the original 702 Rolex tube didn't have any internal splines. So one way to install an OEM tube is to prep the case hole- run the tap thru there- then screw the tube in by hand and tighten it in there with the 702 crown. If you're using a glue like loc-tite and you get the tube screwed in tightly you're good to go. If you're not happy with that, you can stick the rat tail file in there and try additional tightening.

As for Adrian's tube- if he says a torx bit, I'd try one of those. You can buy them fairly cheaply and I'd figure T-15, T-20 or T-25 would be the size. And remember to use loc-tite or something to give you a waterproof seal. You may need to chamfer the top of the case hole to seat the tube correctly, but it's been over a year since I installed a 702 copy tube in my 5513 and I can't remember but I'm pretty sure I chamfered the top of the hole- I know I do that on the 703 tubes.

photo%2010_zpsmroqdh0x.jpg

• Like 2