When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Service Your Own Watch: Bph Meter For Your Home Pc? Would Anyone Be Intrested In Such Thing?

Hi guys,

I just had an idea. I am a software developer and i could actually use my knowlegde to make our lives a bit easier.

Well it's possible to develop a software where you just can hold the movement infront of your computer microphone, and it will tell you at how many beats per hour your watch is currently running. That would make definetly my, and im sure your lives also a bit easier and lets you regulate your movement in a manner of second (no watch smithes needed again EVER :) )

Would anyone be intrested in such thing? It will be some work to program such thing, thats why im asking if anyone would like start servicing his watches himself :)

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

Would anyone be intrested in such thing? It will be some work to program such thing, thats why im asking if anyone would like start servicing his watches himself :)

I'd be interested. This sort of thing already exists, albeit commercially, and hasn't reduced regulating times as the movements need testing throughout their spring tension and at six angles.

Hi guys,

I just had an idea. I am a software developer and i could actually use my knowlegde to make our lives a bit easier.

Well it's possible to develop a software where you just can hold the movement infront of your computer microphone, and it will tell you at how many beats per hour your watch is currently running. That would make definetly my, and im sure your lives also a bit easier and lets you regulate your movement in a manner of second (no watch smithes needed again EVER :) )

I would be very intrested!

What about this one?

http://home.teleport.com/~gregsa/clocks/wtm/index.htm

(posted by evildee on RWI)

The mic is the most critical part of the system. You are trying to "hear" the difference between "tics and tocs" @ 28800bph I guess you need a good mic to capture the "tics and tocs" and not the ambient noise.

Clock movement "tics and tocs" are louder than your wristwatch "tics and tocs". There are a few mic recomendations at the site.

Please let us know the results.

I am very interested... was actually thinking about this myself a while ago but it seemed like isolating the sound to a quality that would be reliable was going to be very hard...

I was actually thinking of taking one of those old ball mice which used an optical sensor on the wheel (don't know what the part is called) inside to measure how fast the ball rotated. If that could be aligned with a balance wheel somehow it seemed that could be extremely accurated.

Also was looking at some laser timing devices (the kind used to time laps during RC car races) similarly...

I am very interested... was actually thinking about this myself a while ago but it seemed like isolating the sound to a quality that would be reliable was going to be very hard...

I was actually thinking of taking one of those old ball mice which used an optical sensor on the wheel (don't know what the part is called) inside to measure how fast the ball rotated. If that could be aligned with a balance wheel somehow it seemed that could be extremely accurated.

Also was looking at some laser timing devices (the kind used to time laps during RC car races) similarly...

Using an optical device is a totally diferent software and hardware setup.