When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experts opinion needed

DR M

Good mooring every one

I am no expert, but I found these 6538 and the dealer is asking only 8500$  for it

The movement looks fine to me8.jpg

The dial is completely missed up

The case I believe badly finished

The bezel and the bezel insert are medium quality

Any more thoughts and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Regards

6.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I also can't tell you if it's genuine, but others here probably can.

However, from the purely commercial point of view ( since you say it's a dealer) you have possibly either found a complete ringer or a dealer who just shouldn't be in business given the internet access we have today and I doubt that, because 5 minuites on the internet will show up all sorts of examples for sale or sold. This link will show you what similar watches have fetched recently. https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/watches/rolex/submariner/ref-rolex-6538/lpi

There are many other examples, so Is it possible that any competent dealer wouldn't know that?

So, it shows a cse number of 383843. Have you checked that out first? That's where I'd start, although it's still no guarantee, as numbers can be fake, just like anything else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alligoat said:

Bracelet is ok also, and if the case is legit, all you'd be looking for is a decent dial- which coud be tough to find. Bezel insert is a later replacement. If that RNY 5/74 is legit, it might be a fair deal.

Ditto most of the above (everything but the dial & hands look correct to me.....but always buy (verify) the seller before you buy the Rolex!!). If the movement runs well, it could be a good deal. Replace the hands with appropriate genuines & a genuine 6538 dial or good aftermarket & you have a nice, wearable vintage Sub.

You guys think the case & bezel are gen? the wear on the bezel seems totally artificial, like someone took it to a buffing wheel until brass showed. it features no pitting, something a bezel of that age with exposed brass would certainly feature.

the case looks similarly all-around-buffed rather than worn.