When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi to every member and some questions

Laura

Hi everyone, i have been reading this forum for a long long time.

I decided to star my first topic because i want to star a new build. I want to assemble everything by myself (dials, hands, casing etc) so i'm making a lot of practice on some cheap watches.

I want to build some vintage pieces. 

After long readings i found that MQ dial are good quality and really close to the gen one. 

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE BETTER?

Also i'm reading about TC bracelets, they look probably the best out there. 

I KNOW HIS WEBSITE BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY PRODUCT OR CONTACTS.

Thank you ! i will upload more pics while making progress 

Edited by Laura

Ciao e benvenuto.

It would help greatly if you told us exactly what model you hope to build and then we can advice better. Minh' dials are very good, but there is some variation and attention to QC pictures is a good idea. Depending on what you want to build there may well be better. However anything significantly better than MQ dials would be virtually impossible to buy especially if you don't already have some strong contacts.

Oh and TC isn't updating his website anymore so it is best to contact him via the forums. I believe he is a member here.

The rumor mills on RWI and Geek indicate TC is taking a break from the rep world...

Also, your choice of model might make some difference in who the best supplier might be for a particular part.

Thanks guys,

I'm building a 1969 5513 submariner, i will post some pictures about case and movement. 

For now i want to keep it all gen with a refinished dial. 

With everything gen i don't want to go cheap on the dial that's why i'm looking for something good.

I will buy the MQ dial ad post some pictures as soon as possible.

Well the dials described as refinished are mostly not refinished at all. They are often pure replica though generally pretty good replicas. If you are using all genuine parts, you might be better stretching to a genuine dial. A service dial is a realistic option and a Minh dial is likely to cost around $1000 anyway.

34 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Well the dials described as refinished are mostly not refinished at all. They are often pure replica though generally pretty good replicas. If you are using all genuine parts, you might be better stretching to a genuine dial. A service dial is a realistic option and a Minh dial is likely to cost around $1000 anyway.

Yes, they look pretty accurate. The meter first dial that i was looking is 350 euro, a correct price imo.

A service dial is not a bad idea but is going to loose all the vintage appeal. Also there is no patina look with a service dial.

If the watch was almost nos i wuold have considered to build a "new look" vintage piece. But with a well worn case a no bracelet i want to stick to a true vintage look. Jut as fun watch to use sometimes. 

Also a correct rep bezel insert (a little faded) changes the look a lot.

Edited by Laura

4 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Hmm, $350 for a dial changes things quite a bit. I think I have only seen MQ Daytona dial prices, which are much more expensive. Perhaps I shall have to look into this myself as well

Yes, the 5513 dial was 350. Daytona dials probably are more expensive (understandable)