When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Striped Screw On A Panerai

Goochenbrau

River sells a pack with 2 sets of spring bars for PAM 44 or 47mm for $15 incl shipping.

They looks like the original screws when mounted and replaces both the screw and tube.

Highly recommended.

(But you have to get the old screw out first somehow :rolleyes: )

if its stripped, just push with a sharp object on the threaded end and turn the screw while doing so to get it out.

River's springbar will be a lifesaver afterwards.

To turn really tough screws. I sometimes fix a small clamp onto the screwdriver, to give my hand something to grip. I have rheumatism, so find this helps a lot. It is important that your screwdriver is a good fit in the screw slot. If it isn't, re-shape it on a sharpening stone.

If that doesn't work, try this... place a drawing pin (thumbtack) on your work-top. Lower the threaded lug hole over the drawing pin. Then whilst pressing down on the case, try turning the screw.

This usually works... but I did once have to drill a lug screw. I used a drill smaller than the diameter of the screw, and drilled to a depth of a couple of millimetres, just enough to release the grip that the threads had in the lug. It came out easily... and was then, of course, consigned to the bin.

River's springbars are now fitted! I'll be putting them in all my Panerai. In place, they are indistinguishable from traditional lug-screws, and are a 1:1 replacement for a screw-and-tube set. Here is a comparison pic, screw-and-tube on the left, River's spring-bar on the right.

182161-6954.jpg