When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which A7750 Based Reps Can Take Swiss Movement And Still Use Hands?

Watchmeister

As we see more and more reps being made with the 7750 movements I thought it might be helpful to develop a list of which watches can actually take an ETA movement and still allow you to use the hands and/or datewheels. I am interested for two reasons. First, there is a major discrepancy on the prices of the same reps with a Swiss 7750 movement versus the Asian version. The Swiss version often costs $350-400 more and the actual cost of the Swiss movement is closer to $200. Second, it emboldens me to buy certain watches knowing that if I like the watch and the movement craps out I can replace it with a Swiss movement.

Here is my list of watches I would love to know the answer to. I will start with the one swap I have done to date. Please feel free to add watches you would like the answer to as well. Ultimately, it may make sense to make it a "sticky" if we develop enough of a database.

Chrono Avenger - Yes, it takes the hands but you have to use the Swiss datewheel.

Chronomat Evolution

PAM 24

PAM 87

PAM 194/2500

PAM 243/239

IWC GST Chrono

Hublot BB

IWC GST Chrono

Hublot BB

These two both use the newer 28k 7750-copy. You can fit the movement, but the hands don't all fit.

In fact, any modern rep in 12-9-6 configuration should not be able to take a gen 7750 movement as it's only reps with the older 21k that have the right hands.

Does the hand issue relate to the subdial hands only? That would imply that all the non-chrono Asian 7750's ( PAM 87, 24, 239, 243, etc.) would still have the possibility of swapping out the movement. And are there really only two versions of the 7750 such that any chrono developed in the last several months would not be swappable?

Does the hand issue relate to the subdial hands only? That would imply that all the non-chrono Asian 7750's ( PAM 87, 24, 239, 243, etc.) would still have the possibility of swapping out the movement. And are there really only two versions of the 7750 such that any chrono developed in the last several months would not be swappable?

Center Seconds and Subdials are dfferent:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=12309

Isn't the second-hand on a subdial?

ps. Yes, it is. That was a rhetorical question.

Erm... excuse my ignorance here, this is also means the eta 7750 also won't fit into the Bentley GT? I've checked this with Jay previously, and he claims the hand won't fit... and that one may have to grind the dial too... is this true?

So, a dealer says it won't fit, this thread says it won't fit and ... you still have to ask if it's true? :D

ps. Yes, it's true.

Pug-

Thanks for posting the old loop. I had been looking for it. Did you ever swap out your movement on the IWC? And if so, where did you buy the replacement hands from?

Finepics raised the exact same question I had which is that a number of watches including the Chronomat and the PAM 212 and 253 come in both Swiss and Asian version. I would be surprised if they are making two sets of hands - the implication being that perhaps not all "new Asian 28,800 7750's" are the same. :thumbsupsmileyanim: If any of the dealers see this who sell either of these I hope they will comment.

Guest RiverwindMDS
But to throw a spanner into this - the new Breitling Chronomat Evo is being offered as Swiss or Asian 7750 - so maybe they have changed the hand post sizes again. Unless they are making 2 different sets of hands!!

Please Can you please reply to my PM?

This have been vexing me as well. I have a ETA 7750 movement and would like to swap it into one of my reps.

For me - it is a matter of which one (don't want to put it into just ANY watch). But then - the hand also have to fit. What a pain.

RIght now - i am going to simply let it sit on the side and wait.

I really like the idea of the new watches with a real 7750. However, don't like those prices. Ouch.