When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Daytona - Chrono Seconds Smooth?

Category 5

A client was wearing a SS Daytona, seconds at six that he claimed to be gen. He passed it overf and I operated the chrono. I'll admit to not knowing the tells as far as rep/gen go on this model. I have no experience.

At any rate, while the running seconds were very smooth, when the chrono operated the chrono seconds ran very choppy. I remember reading the new 7750 reps have choppy small seconds, but this one's was fine.

So I am wondering...is this just a trait of Rolex's in house chrono movement (choppy chrono secs) or is it most definitely a rep? I don't plan to call the guy on it, I am just curious.

Actually, if it's a rep I'll be very impressed because the overall quality seemed fantastic.

A client was wearing a SS Daytona, seconds at six that he claimed to be gen. He passed it overf and I operated the chrono. I'll admit to not knowing the tells as far as rep/gen go on this model. I have no experience.

At any rate, while the running seconds were very smooth, when the chrono operated the chrono seconds ran very choppy. I remember reading the new 7750 reps have choppy small seconds, but this one's was fine.

So I am wondering...is this just a trait of Rolex's in house chrono movement (choppy chrono secs) or is it most definitely a rep? I don't plan to call the guy on it, I am just curious.

Actually, if it's a rep I'll be very impressed because the overall quality seemed fantastic.

Lol--probably a gen. My AD's repairman said since Rolex quit utilizing the El Primero chrono movement that ran seconds @ 9, and redesigned their own movement to run @ 6, that most of the new Daytonas he'd seen were a piece of [censored]--even more so than a lot of other Rolex models.

On the cal. 4130 (current 116520 model Daytona), the seconds hand (both center and subsidiary @ 6:00) should run smoothly under operation. However, the 'sweep' (for lack of a better term, as it's contextually incorrect) may have a slight beat to it (@28,800bph/8 ticks per second, this would be visible). This is all dependant on how closely you are looking at the hands, observing, etc. Remember- These movements are mechanical...

But, to answer the question, yes, the hand should be quite smooth in it's movement; i.e. no stutters or choppy movement.

Looking at my El Primero based 16520 Daytona frankenstein, I can even see a very slight beat, and that one beats at 36,000bph/10 ticks per second (though it's quite smooth).