When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

advice on a franken project - rolex sea dweller 4000 ceramic??

arminvanbuuren

hey guys how are you? im an old member of rg but for a long time i haven't been active much on the rep scene for a long time - so in a way my knowledge is really back to zero or close to non-existance. but i am interested in building a franken sea dweller 4000 reference 126600 (ceramic bezel).. i've tried to read here in the rolex section in the past few hours, but can't seem to find answers.. so if i could get help from the rollie experts here i would appreciate it.

my question is what would be the best base watch to use for this project? to achieve the most accurate (aesthetic wise) to the gen with the least cost? i just want the franken to look undistinguishable from the outside to the gen - movement or the inside doesn't really matter to me. 

and which gen parts should i acquire, if possible any ideas on where i can get the gen parts from? 

from what i gather the gen parts that i really need to make an accurate sd 4000 would be - gen dial, yuki movement with gen datewheel, gen hands (tudor? if possible?), gen crystal, gen bezel insert (or full bezel assembly?), gen crown and tube. 

where as case and bracelet i can just use the ARF? once again thanks guys.. any advice from you guys in creating this project would be appreciated.

Honestly I wouldn’t bother. If you can actually find genuine 126600 parts they will cost a fortune.

The Yuki movement is a copy of the 3135 calibre not the 3235. The 2824 and the 3235 hands move in the same direction when manually adjusting them, the 3135 moves the opposite way. Also I am not sure where you would source suitable hands for a 43mm 126600 that fit a Yuki movement.

The ARF is a really good rep, if you haven’t bought a rep for a while, you will be amazed. Buy one and wear the heck out of it

hey sogeha, thanks for ur reply.. hmm i sort of expected what u said.. but you did mention to get to just get the rep? and yes im all for reps.. but right at this moment, though i am not one to want to pass a rep as a gen.. my work in a way sort of need to "pass off a gen as a rep" as in my clients (yes im in sales, and lets just say that im in the automotive industry?), sometimes are people that judge what you wear, especially if they work in the luxury retail industry, some even work in AD's!! and theyre usually the most judgemental!.. and somehow i need to pull the watch thing off too? so i wonder if the reps available atm (ARF?) would embarass me in situations?