When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 2533 Vintage With Russian Movement: Problems

ryyannon

My most cherished replica, a Pam 2533 with a Moljot (Polijot?) - ok, with a well-known Russian movement has suddenly decided to stop working when in a horizontal position (ie, strapped to my wrist), while working perfectly when in a vertical position (ie, nailed to the wall).

I know there are a few people on this forum who actually know what goes on inside a mechanical watch, and I'd appreciate their interpretation of this issue - which is assuredly the clear symptom of a specific problem in the mecanism itself.

I reiterate: watch horizontal: stops; watch vertical: runs fine.

Of course, I plan on taking it to a repair shop, but I'd like to have an informed idea of what might actually be wrong before having to hear that I have to replace the clutch, transmission and driveshaft.

Thanks for your input, watch wizards!

I had the same issue - it was a damaged balance wheel.

As fxrandy already said - these "Molnija" movements are often used in cheap russian pocketwatches,

it's a LOT cheaper to buy one and change the movements than repairing the old one.

If you are really on the DIY-trip, then you can transplant the engraved bridges (if your watch has any) from your

broken movement to the new one.

Et voilá !

:)

P.S.: I often see these pocketwatches for around 35,- USD range - how much spare-parts can you get

for 35,- USD ? Besides the fact, that it will be impossible to get spare-parts for this movement...

I looked for a while and got a vintage one (with the balence screws on the balence wheel) for £10, they said it was serviced as well, the movement was very clean and has ran perfect for the last 3 months or so, so shop about cruise the bay and you will find one no problems.

Might be worth keeping your eye on this ebay shop it is the new shop from the guy i bought mine from (i think) name change now he has a shop.

Thanks andy and namor for your comments :-) I'm beginning to get the picture here....

I feel incapable of swapping out the movements, but I do see the interest in purchasing one on the bay and having someone competent do it for me.

Sounds much better than paying five times more for what is probably a 'mission impossible' concerning parts and so on....

If any of you guys are interested in what (for you) might be some easy money, we might discuss the possibility of you doing the purchase and swap for me: I'm good at some things, but when the scale becomes too small I prefer handing a project over to someone who has the requisite experience/talent that I lack.

I'm in Paris, so the logical thing would be dealing with a member in the UK or on the Continent.

Think it over, and let me know how you feel about the idea....

Hmmmm... If I recall correct, these movements didn't have much in the way of shock protection...

:g:

You're probably right: I've heard all sorts of things about them, ranging from excellent but in need of cleaning and oiling to not very dependable. I posted the same query on TRC and The Zigmeister was nice enough to reply with a method for trying to determine what the problem might be - which I'm in the process of trying now.

His initial reaction was "Sounds like a cap jewel is gone out of place..." which given my minimal (to say the least) knowledge of movement mechanics, sounds like both good and bad news at the same time. Good, if it means a quick and uncomplicated fix; bad if it means having to disassemble the works.

As for replacing it with another, if what you say is correct, I might be better off trying to have it fit with a decent Swiss movement....

Decisions, decisions....

Final update:

Thanks to The Zigmeister's analysis on TRC, it looks like the problem has been identified - and a positive prognosis suggested.

My thanks also to the members who contributed their input here. It's always a nice feeling knowing that one is not out here alone when a problem arises.

Anyone interested in following discussion on the TRC thread can click below:

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?act=idx