When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clutch Spring of aftermarket 702/703 crowns comparison?

RickFlorida

Hi everyone,

So I realized recently that the clutch spring of my Athaya 702 failed very quickly.   I love the crown but it has to function for me.

Since I will soon be in the market for a complete MQ or Rubywatch 5513 case I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the crowns that come with those cases have a better clutch spring than the Athaya 702?

My current 5513 build has a MQ midcase but I purchased the midcase only from MQ so I never tried one of their crowns.

While on the subject of those complete 5513 cases, do they come with all gaskets for crown?

By the way, is a clutch spring inside the crown something that can be replaced with a new or genuine part or are the clutch springs permanently pressed in?

Thanks for any information.

All I can see doing is getting another 702 crown from Athaya. Maybe he'll cut you some slack. Gen 702 crowns on ebay are ridiculous these days. 703 crowns are another possibility, but then you'd have to change out the tube.

Freddy333 knows about refurbing crowns but he's rarely around these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, alligoat said:

All I can see doing is getting another 702 crown from Athaya. Maybe he'll cut you some slack. Gen 702 crowns on ebay are ridiculous these days. 703 crowns are another possibility, but then you'd have to change out the tube.

Freddy333 knows about refurbing crowns but he's rarely around these days.

Thank you.  I think I will just have to use a 703 tube and crown on the next build then because the Athaya clutch spring for the 702 failed very, very quickly after the build so I can't see using these again.