When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Acquired A Gen 001

TK471

Hello, if you have a genuine 001 Panerai with a solid case back, i would urge you to leave it alone. Those watches are meant to have a solid caseback and if you put a clear back on it, the watch will then look like a rep..............I would leave the watch all original, and personally i think solid back Pam's are the coolest. I have a genuine pam000 with a solid caseback and i love it, love it, love it!! If you want a sapphire caseback i would suggest just buying a rep with one and wearing that........................I hope this helps. Cheers, Wan

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the front Crystal...Sounds like he purchased a Gen 001 with a broken front crystal

but, I'm sorry I don't know if it fits... It should..you may have to get the bezel as well though..

At the very top of the post it says "now i need a sapphire crystal for the back" so i was correct........wan

At the very top of the post it says "now i need a sapphire crystal for the back" so i was correct........wan

Next time I will read more closely.... My apologies Wan

I will add that I agree 100% with the others here and say...leave it with the solid caseback... but, if you decide to sell the solid caseback let me know.. ;)

Are you kidding right??? We are all trying to make our reps look more accurate like the genuine and you are going to franken your rep? And for what? a glass back?

Get to your senses and enjoy your new watch ;)

Great point.

I think it's overwhelmingly in the corner of LEAVE IT.

So it will be left.

I'm just sitting here rocking the gen 001!

Yeah we want pics... :D

What series is it? Does it has TRITIUM dial?

Not Tritium, it's a C series, so it's designated L SWISS L on the dial. Probably the least collectible of them, as Panerai made 4000 Luminor Marinas that year. But it's awesome. Fit and finish are superb. And it's nice knowing you own the real thing, I suppose. I still have the rep 63 that's being upgraded by The Zigmeister, and that's a wonderful watch in its own right, but I love this watch.

Comparing it to some of the reps I've owned, I have to say, some of our reps are OUT OF THIS WORLD in terms of accuracy and quality. I think the sandwich dials are probably most easily repped, because the painted gen dial just hasn't been replicated to the same degree as far as I've seen.

Pictures shortly. I'll start a new thread.