When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has Anyone Seen This Breitling Replica

DMan928

Attempting to be a bit charitable:

If you took the Breitling name and logo off the dial, I doubt that anyone would suspect this watch was a replica. Honestly, it doesn't bear a passing resemblence to anything Breitling has ever made. It's a watch and hopefully, it will tell time. If it makes your friend happy, then he should wear it.

I've seen these sold in street markets in Asia and I've watched people buy them. I have no idea why someone would do that, but I've seen it.

If you want something really nice, then hang around here. If you just want a watch with a famous name on the dial, there are many to be had for little money but you should be looking elsewhere. These folks will spurn an otherwise excellent copy because the color of the lume is off. Check out the threads where the shade of blue on a TT Sub is discussed. Not whether or not it is blue but the shade of blue, or how much red paint is applied to a second hand and how far up the hand the red is applied. How about the shade of the red printing on a YM dial? Get the picture?

Truth be known, perhaps one person out of a thousand would know the difference in most cases, but these folks take their hobby seriously.

There are watches to be had that would pass a casual inspection by an authorized dealer.

It is a matter of degree. Your friend's watch is at one end of the spectrum (Remember, I'm being kind here). The near perfect clones are at the other end. You decide where you want to fit in that spectrum and act accordingly.

Bill.

That's cool. It's not mine, critical comments are welcome and expected. What should one look for in a good replica? i.e. What are the flaws in this particular watch?

Thanks.

A few things...

- If you like it, and don't care about inaccuracies or people knowing it is a "replica" (in the loosest sense of the word).. then wear it, just don't pay your friend too much for it, this is a cheapie.

- If you want an accurate Breitling, read the Breitling guide at the top of the Breitling section.

- If you want to get people off your back a little, take another picture with a piece of paper saying "Hi RWG and the gang" with today's date, or a newspaper or something with today's date, and that should allay some people.

Good luck! :victory: