When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Timezone Classes And 6497 Movement

trekracer20

I'm thinking about taking the Timezone repair course, and the movement they recommend you purchase (and that goes along with the photos ) is the ETA 2801. Does anyone know if the 6497 would be an acceptable movement to use and take apart while following alone with the 2801? Are they fairly similar, or too different? I can imagine using/needing the 6497 in the future, but I don't think I could ever use the 2801, which is the only reason I'm asking.

thanks, you guys,

MK

IMHO no.

First the 6497 is 16.5 ligne, much larger than the 2801 11.5, the course (part one) teaches you how to handle the small parts of a watch. It teaches you the necessary skills and handling ability to successfully tear down and build up a movement, if you can't do that with the smaller 11.5 you ain't gonna succeed with a 16.5 movement. Master the 2801 and the 6497 will be more like a stroll in the park.

Also, the 2801 is only used in part 1, part 2 moves on to the 2836 a much more complex movement. Practicing on the 6497 will not prepare you for the 2836.

The course really doesn't cover watch repair, for that you should invest in some good books and buy broken stuff from the 'bay to get practice.

I had the exact same thought and may have even posted something similar a while back. Most of the responses were the same as trekracers, basically the 6497 is too easy and will "spoil" you. However, I don't think there is any reason not to do both.

Chris - Nice Kobold! I had lunch with Mike in So. Cal. a while back when he showed me the prototype of that watch. Between my brother and I we have four Kobolds. I see your in Pittsburgh. Say Hi to Mike for me!

Sorry to hijack the post trekracer - It's just that you don't see many Kobolds out there!

Edited by jake48

actually, I went to watchschool back in sydney and we were taught to work on a 6497 first. I think the purpose was to demostrate how the parts correspond with eachother in more detail - so that is why bigger was better at the time. However, i agree with the others that smaller will help u to work with finesse and delicacy. Good luck with either one, i'm sure u'll get the hang of it.