When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will New Stem Fix This?

morgan

My 196 changes date in the wind position and changes time in what should be the date adjust.. there is no wind position.

Will a new stem fix this you think? When I got the watch it was 2 minutes slow per hour probably because it can't get a decent wind w/o wearing it for a few days. Now that I've had it on a few days it's keeping up ok.

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but your stem is too short...

So yes, a new stem cut and installed to the correct length, will indeed fix your problem.

RG

I've been faitfully reviewing your incredible and detailed breakdowns Zigmaster and it looks like a stem swap would be pretty

basic? Unscrew the stem screw a couple turns w/ the crown seated and remove? Where can I get a proper stem the correct

length? Wouldn't mind swapping the crown for one more beefy whilst I'm at it.

I've been faitfully reviewing your incredible and detailed breakdowns Zigmaster and it looks like a stem swap would be pretty

basic? Unscrew the stem screw a couple turns w/ the crown seated and remove? Where can I get a proper stem the correct

length? Wouldn't mind swapping the crown for one more beefy whilst I'm at it.

You have to open the watch and remove the stem/crown assembly and remove and replace the stem.

There are some breakdowns in my section on doing this, it's basically the same on all watches...

Depending on where you live, stems are available from watch supply houses, the part number for a stem is 401.

RG

If you are lucky you might be able to fix it by removing the stem and crown, then unscrewing the stem a couple of turns then reinserting it back into the watch to see if you can get all of the positions possible. If so, remove it again and put some glue on the threads and reinstalling the crown...them back into the watch. Try all functions after the adhesive has had time to dry completely. If this doesn't work, then a new stem is in order.

Edited to add: If you do get a new stem don't expect the length to be correct out of the box. You will have to size it properly for your watch.

Edited by olivia

If you are lucky you might be able to fix it by removing the stem and crown, then unscrewing the stem a couple of turns then reinserting it back into the watch to see if you can get all of the positions possible. If so, remove it again and put some glue on the threads and reinstalling the crown...them back into the watch. Try all functions after the adhesive has had time to dry completely. If this doesn't work, then a new stem is in order.

Edited to add: If you do get a new stem don't expect the length to be correct out of the box. You will have to size it properly for your watch.

I have a new stem on order. I'll try what you said... unscrew the crown from the stem a few turns to add some length and try the wind function?

How will I be able to determine the exact legth is should be??

With a new stem it is a trial and error method. First make sure you do not cut it too short. With the new stem just screw the crown onto the stem and insert it into the watch. Estimate how much needs to come off... remove a little less than you first estimate... repeat the process until you have the correct fit. At least that's how I do it. The Zigmeister may have an easier way.

Edited to add: You can cut them with a wire cutter, but I prefer to not do it that way. I use a dremel with a cutting disk. You will need to dress the threaded end where it screws into the crown with a conical geometry...i.e., not flat, for easier and safer fit to the crown. If you are not careful you can cross-thread the crown threads.

Edited by olivia

You will need to dress the threaded end where it screws into the crown with a conical geometry...i.e., not flat, for easier and safer fit to the crown. If you are not careful you can cross-thread the crown threads.

uh huh... conical geometry.. I wasn't very good at math in school so not sure I'll be doing much of that. :thumbdown: