When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How About Milwaukee - Anyone From There

TJGladeRaider

Just wondering if there was any likelihood of meeting up with anyone there,

Bill

I lived there for a few months in 2000, Bill, so all I can do is recommend a couple of places to eat, my other obsession:

First, high end anything in Milwaukee (Sanford,Osteria Del something, slick nightclubs, any of the the high end German places) is probably going to be a mediocre rep of some bigger city counterpart. On the other hand, Milwaukee is one America's great working class cities, and you definitely can get unbelievably good down home food.

1)Polonaise--don't be fooled by it's absolute dumpiness and rock bottom prices. The old Polish grandma in the kitchen cooks some of the heart-clogingly good Polish food outside of Warsaw.

2)Kopp's Custard--Speaking of heart cloging, Kopp's is a Milwaukee institution: Frozen Custard that has about as much butter fat as triple cream brie and they actually put a pat of butter on their hamburgers, but both the burgers and custard are awesome, it's copy-cat, Culver's, is about a 90% rep.

3)Comet coffee: may be a typical granola-eater coffee shop, but they roast their own coffee, and I still think about that stuff every morning as I slog down my Starbucks---Comet Coffee is hands down one of the best cups of coffee I've had anywhere in the world.

4) For the quintessential Wisconsin "supper club" experience (a "relish tray", soup, salad, a decent and gigantic steak, and some home-baked desert---all inclusive) try to get into Coerper's Five O'clock Club which is hard to do on short notice.

5) The bar at Landmark Lanes on the upper east side has an unbelievable collection of draft microbrews and german beer which I've never seen on tap anywhere else. Try the New Glarus cherry beer if they have it.

There are more members in Chi-town proper area. If you care to venture this way which is about 1 hour south of Milwaukee.

Agreed. Lets talk about about a Chi-town get together (but just don't bring up the Superbowl - :( ).