When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Opinion On Date Wheel Font

stilty

Hey there,

slowly getting my parts together for a franken project for the wife. hopefully in time for Valentine's Day, but it isn't looking promising.

Anyway, need some expert advise as to what datewheel I should go with. I have two. one from cubic-works, and the other an aftermarket 3135.

Here are some pics. Please excuse the fingerprints, dust, etc, as I am only holding in the dial and datewheel for comparison photos. They have not been installed yet.

First comparison side by side:

post-4733-1170831146_thumb.jpg

now here is a picture of old style:

post-4733-1170831187_thumb.jpg

and here is the supposed identical 3135 font. I would like to use this if it looks close enough

post-4733-1170831257_thumb.jpg

the old style font is much more bolder, but the printing on the new style is so nice and clean and probably more close to genuine.

If you're building a 16200 series Datejust, you might try the aftermarket 3135 date wheel- it's correct as far as the fonts and closed 6's and 9's. On my 16014, I used the Luenfat datewheel, which is the same as Cubic Works, as I understand. But a 16014 is from the early 80's and the open 6's and 9's are correct for that era. I used a 2836 movt. but for a 16200 series, it probably will take a 2824 due to the position of the crown tube.

Hopefully the 3135 date wheel will be thin enough to work, you'll still have to glue it on the ETA date wheel. Good Luck.