When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shouldn't A Vinatge Sub Look....well....look Vintage? Mods Update.

Justasgood

Here are a few in progress shots of my projects:

1665 WM/DRSD. Gen Crown and Tube, Gen Springbars, case drilled for spring bars by hand(no drill or press) and internal edges beveled, centered date(waiting on the new datewheels to install my slow-beat movement), case worked over, egdes softened, caseback distressed and Gen end links on order.

198160-2347.jpg

198160-2348.jpg

198160-2349.jpg

198160-2350.jpg

198160-2351.jpg

198160-2352.jpg

198160-2353.jpg

198160-2354.jpg

198160-2355.jpg

198160-2356.jpg

198160-2357.jpg

198160-2358.jpg

198160-2359.jpg

198160-2360.jpg

198160-2361.jpg

Next, 5513. Mods: Slow beat movement, case work to bring down the thickness, Gen Tube and Crown, Gen Springbars, case drilled for spring bars by hand(no drill or press) and internal edges beveled, crystal worked, softened and rounded. I have a Gen Reolex Tropic 19 (2 in fact) but probably will not bother with them as this isn't an WM/MBW and it doesn't fit.

198160-2362.jpg

198160-2363.jpg

198160-2364.jpg

198160-2365.jpg

198160-2366.jpg

198160-2367.jpg

198160-2368.jpg

198160-2369.jpg

198160-2370.jpg

Both watches have been regulated by me and keep time to +4-6 secs/day.

Please offer your suggestions and opinions as I perfect my craft.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt.

I couldn't agree more. Here's my efforts to do the same, from a few months ago (it's currently under renovation):

Pointy-guarded 1665

...The only suggestion that I would make to you is to try to keep the inside corners of your crown guards square, not rounded. Very nice work, overall!

I don't know whether a vintage must look old - I have a couple of guns a lot older than any of these watches, but I don't mar the stocks or buff away the bluing. Unfortunately, I have not gotten around to restoring some of the old cars I am interested in, but if I had a 67 Camaro, it would be my intent to make it look better than it looked on the show room floor.

I don't say that to be critical of your position - not at all - I just point out that there are different ways of looking at things. Personally, I think that the diversity of opinions and approaches adds a lot to this peculiar hobby. At the end of the day, all that really matters is being happy with the watch on your wrist.

On my MBWs, I want the best possible lume and I want the watch to look like it would have sitting on the jeweler's shelf. But that's just me. I'll post pics when I get them back from Ziggy.

One thing I would mention to you. If you haven't tried it, you may want to look at putting an OEM replacement bezel assembly on the vintages you are building. I have been surprised to discover that they fit perfectly on the CN vintages. You may have seen the pics I posted of a CN DRSD with a T-39, and OEM style crystal retaining ring, spring washer and bezel.

Bill

I don't know whether a vintage must look old - I have a couple of guns a lot older than any of these watches, but I don't mar the stocks or buff away the bluing. Unfortunately, I have not gotten around to restoring some of the old cars I am interested in, but if I had a 67 Camaro, it would be my intent to make it look better than it looked on the show room floor.

I don't say that to be critical of your position - not at all - I just point out that there are different ways of looking at things. Personally, I think that the diversity of opinions and approaches adds a lot to this peculiar hobby. At the end of the day, all that really matters is being happy with the watch on your wrist.

On my MBWs, I want the best possible lume and I want the watch to look like it would have sitting on the jeweler's shelf. But that's just me. I'll post pics when I get them back from The Zigmeister.

One thing I would mention to you. If you haven't tried it, you may want to look at putting an OEM replacement bezel assembly on the vintages you are building. I have been surprised to discover that they fit perfectly on the CN vintages. You may have seen the pics I posted of a CN DRSD with a T-39, and OEM style crystal retaining ring, spring washer and bezel.

Bill

Thanks for your perspective, Bill. I don't think that anyone here is imposing their views on anyone else. I find beauty in vintage watches that are in "safe queen" condition, as well. For my DRSD, I wanted the look of a tool watch that had actually been used as a tool....Different stokes...