When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portuguese Chrono

If you are talking about the one with running seconds at 12 you run a high risk of movement issues irrespective of the dealer. That movement has a very poor track record as it wasn't designed for that particular manipulation. It requires substantially more power than the movement can generate so the liklihood of longevity is substantially lower. PT has excellent reviews here though. :)

I am too lazy to find it but there is a whole loop on everybody's experience. There appear to be any number of paperwieghts. Also Ziggy did a breakdown on the movement and explained why the movement is likely to have problems. I have never worn mine so I don't know. I am glad Randy's is performing well. It is potluck.

What I concluded is that the Portuguese are relatively simple yet elegant chronographs and the reps don't begin to have the feel of the gen. I actually wore a friend's for a couple of days. I can't even say why. When a watch/dial/case is that simple and elegant it is difficult, IMHO, to not feel the difference on your wrist or notice the substandard minute details on the rep. I feel the same way about the FA Jones. They are fairly good aesthetically from afar but so far from the real thing that it bothers me.

I own a real Port and I would say it's a very good rep. The movement doesn't wind nearly as smoothly, and the rotor feels wobbly and noisy, but visually the presence and feel on my wrist is much the same. I do agree the movement is highly unreliable. I think any difference you would experience is more psychological than not.

I'm gona give you not one, but 3 advices :

1/ Avoid this model : iwc Portuguese is an awsome rep with an unreliable F....G SH.T movt !!!

2/ PT is a trusty and really good dealer (even more you are located in EU)

3/ Go for a FA Jones, perhaps not as much acurate, but lovely with a simple movt. A big dressed wath for little price in CN movt)

Good luck, and good choice :victory:

I guess everybody gets to have an opinion. I've got the portuguese chrono and know of 4 others and everybody's works fine. I do use the Chrono's regularly and have no problems.....yet, after 4 months.

I'm not sure that seconds at 6 on this one has the same potential as the Daytona's. maybe still a potential problem but the 5 I personally know of have been running fine.

I also have the FA Jones with the Swiss movement and that one is certainly bulletproof.

These IWC's are elegant and functionally beautiful.

Well, since no one seems to have any problems anymore. :lol: Look at this post:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...p;hl=portuguese

Of 8 reviews posted only 2 work properly. ;) Congratulations to those whose watches work fine. You are the lucky ones. :)

So if you are not convinced on the movement issue I still think it doesn't rate with a number of other IWC reps. It feels pretty wimpy on the wrist next to the gen. That is not true for many other IWC reps (Ingen, GST ti, etc.) if you are IWC inclined.

Of 8 reviews posted only 2 work properly. ;) Congratulations to those whose watches work fine. You are the lucky ones. :)

So if you are not convinced on the movement issue I still think it doesn't rate with a number of other IWC reps. It feels pretty wimpy on the wrist next to the gen. That is not true for many other IWC reps (Ingen, GST ti, etc.) if you are IWC inclined.

Is it safe to infer that the GST (with seconds running at 9) is a relable rep? I'm getting seriously tempted by this watch.

Yes. Typical new Asian 7750. I have two of those and the risks you run are misaligned day/datw on some days and potential slippage on subdial hands. No problems so far though. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks very much - really appreciate your help. I guess I should minimize any risk by buying from a dealer who carefully selects his stock.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about the one with running seconds at 12 you run a high risk of movement issues irrespective of the dealer.

Pardon my n00b-ness but does this warning apply to the newer Portuguese Chrono rep with the 7750 28800 bph movement with the minute counter at 12 and the seconds at 6?

I love the look of the watch but I would like to avoid buying a $300.00 paperweight if I can.

Thanks

That's the one I have - new 7750 28800 bph - like I say mine works fine in normal time keeping mode.

The chrono runs fine something like 80% of the time, but will just stop randomly - I think it's because there's not enough power to drive it but there's others on here who are more qualified than me to comment on why this happens! :unsure:

So as not to stress the movement, I don't use the chrono much and it keeps perfect time day to day. Looks superb too - very accurate rep.

Maybe just luck of the draw?

Hilts.

I got one...and it worked well untill I've read that post... :bicycle:

it is a beauty...really...and it is difficult to resist and not to buy it...but in the end...i think it is just a matter of time when it will stop running...

I've bought it from a respected member...and have problems...it has low PR...problems with the rotor...so...here you have a lot of comments...more neg than pos...so you choose...