When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Ss Gst

Usil

I was eating lunch with our engineers yesterday and noticed that one of them was wearing an IWC SS GST. The next day (today) I decided to wear mine. We had lunch but did not have time to talk. I went to his office this afternoon as we work together on some projects and flashed him my watch next to his. We took them off and started comparing. His was about 10 years old, a Gen and had the dark face mine had but the stop watch second hand was white. From a first look, this was the only visible difference I could see. He knows I buy reps but he could not believe the exactness, especially since he paid over 3000€ for his and I paid 275 USD.

When I hefted the two, his was heavier. The SS shine and look was identical. The dimensions looked the same, the strap was a marvel and you could not tell the two apart except for the clasp. His gen had a tooled clasp, heavier in construction and swirled from the metal tooling. The rep clasp was plain and thiner. Adjusting the links for both was exactly the same.

He immediately took my watch and went heading down the corrider to show it to another friend. The rep was a marvel to both of them. Highly impressed.

So, from a quick look on the wrist, the only noticable difference was the white stop watch second hand which may have changed to silver on newer models but I am not sure. Holding both, the Gen is heavier. The clasp is the biggest difference but this would not be noticable unless you took it off and did what we did.

I was amazed myself and felt pretty lucky to have my great looking rep. Thanks to Neil for this one.

Usil

That is great to hear. I have never had the opportunity to hold both at the same time and the good news is that the version I saw about a year ago had a silver hand rather than a white one. Wear it well. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Beyond the clasp (and I agree there is a big difference in weight) I also find that the day date does not line up on the reps on certain days where as it did on the gen I was playing with at the AD. I don't think it is just my watch as I have both the ti and ss and they both have the same issue.