When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Use This Stuff For Dial Feet?

stilty

I found this link trying to solve my dial feet issue.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/loctite.htm

Anyone try this stuff? I guess it is industrial grade for setting bearings and such. 3000psi shear strength. I picked up a bottle today to give it a try. The salesman said it is military spec, so once it bonds, it will not come apart.

201974-1457.jpg

I'm testing it on an old dial to see if it works. results to follow in 24hrs.

201974-1458.jpg

i've used this for repairs before and this [censored] is STRONG!!! gorilla glue is even stronger though..

I found this link trying to solve my dial feet issue.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/loctite.htm

Anyone try this stuff? I guess it is industrial grade for setting bearings and such. 3000psi shear strength. I picked up a bottle today to give it a try. The salesman said it is military spec, so once it bonds, it will not come apart.

202089-1424.jpg

I'm testing it on an old dial to see if it works. results to follow in 24hrs.

202089-1425.jpg

Well, after 24hrs and a bit... the results are in. and they are inconclusive.

50/50 with the feet.

An optimist would say the stuff works... as for me?

Well, I clipped the top of them with snips and they both held. I figured the snips would give a bit of pressure and be a test. then I took the file to them... nothing to heavy, but a little foreplay to say the least.

One popped off after a few strokes. The other is really on there. I filed a few more strokes more firmly, and it feels solid.

Human error? Did I not seat the foot properly? I don't know? Maybe I'll try it again, but prep the dial. I don't know if it should be rough or smooth. This glue is meant for bearings and they are pretty damn smooth.

202700-1318.jpg

The 3000 psi shear strength is misleading...especially when your breakage was in tension, not shear.

Shear is two pieces sliding against each other, your filling it and breaking it off, was a tension breakage, not a shear one.

You dont' require anywhere near 3000 or even 1 psi to hold a dial in place, a few ounces will do. After all, the only purpose of the dial feet is to secure and hold a feather light dial to the movement, but once it's cased, it's being held by the case clamps squeezing it between the case and the movement.

Dial feet are resistance welded to the dial, there is a machine for doing this but it's very expensive. I dont' have one, and never will...

My solution, put dial feet on with a bit of glue, as long as the dial stays in place while the hands go on, and I case the watch, that's all you need, nothing more.

That loctite bottle states right on the front "Press Fit", which is not what your application is.

Some gel cynoacrylate glue, a small drop on each foot with the feet installed and secured to the movement (how else can you align it) is all you need, carefully line the dial up, lay it over and on the feet, and you have a few seconds to line it up, and then it hardens...and your done...

RG