When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rx Gmt Watches With 2893-2

AMK000

Does anybody knows if are any dealers around who carry GMT watches with 2893-2 movements ????

They 100% better than the 2836-2 modified

The modified movements give problems .... the whole thing is geared around the GMT hand ... and because of that the hour hand does not correctly points the hour ... etc...

Does anybody knows if are any dealers around who carry GMT watches with 2893-2 movements ????

They 100% better than the 2836-2 modified

The modified movements give problems .... the whole thing is geared around the GMT hand ... and because of that the hour hand does not correctly points the hour ... etc...

the 2893-2 movements will not work for Rolex GMTs as the stack is wrong. The GMT hand is on the bottom, and will not clear the dial markers. The only option would a hand swap where you fitted the hour hand on the GMT wheel, and the GMT hand on the hour wheel. This of course would have the GMT hand as your hour and and vice versa.

the 2893-2 movements will not work for Rolex GMTs as the stack is wrong. The GMT hand is on the bottom, and will not clear the dial markers. The only option would a hand swap where you fitted the hour hand on the GMT wheel, and the GMT hand on the hour wheel. This of course would have the GMT hand as your hour and and vice versa.

I know but I rather have the wrong stack with a watch that it works rather than having the correct stack hand with a problematic movement (mod 2

893-2).

I know but I rather have the wrong stack with a watch that it works rather than having the correct stack hand with a problematic movement (mod 2

893-2).

I have a 2893 EXP II. Hand stack is wrong, but I love that movement. Compared to my quartz Nike Altimeter watch, it loses about 30 seconds per month.

Climb on.

893-2).

You would probably have to get someone to do a custom job for you. And you would have to have the hand swap. Hour hand modifed to fit on GMT wheel, and GMT hand modifed to fit on hour wheel. This would have your hour hand running at 1/2 speed, as it is attached to GMT wheel. Your GMT hand would be running as normal hour hand. It would take some getting used to, but this is the only way it would work. The gmt wheel sits too low to the dial, and if you attach a long GMT hand, it won't clear the dial markers.

You would probably have to get someone to do a custom job for you. And you would have to have the hand swap. Hour hand modifed to fit on GMT wheel, and GMT hand modifed to fit on hour wheel. This would have your hour hand running at 1/2 speed, as it is attached to GMT wheel. Your GMT hand would be running as normal hour hand. It would take some getting used to, but this is the only way it would work. The gmt wheel sits too low to the dial, and if you attach a long GMT hand, it won't clear the dial markers.

My EXP II has a 2893 in it with the GMT hand on the bottom. Works great. The hands are angled up a bit to clear the hour markers, but it's barely perceptible.

202694-1319.jpg

I've changed a 2836 to a 2893-2 on my vintage 1655, wonderful upgrade. (see my signature)

Not hard to do, spacer ring need to be trimmed, possiby change GMT wheel and the 2893-2 you can get cheap at ebay.

Cool thing, you can fit gen/good rep 1570 GMT hand on the 2893-2 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jetsons, check my 1655 (link in my signature), the GMT hand there is a 1570 caliber Rolex rep hand from classicwatchparts.com.

You need to trim the GMT hand a bit more flat with a file in height 0.5 mm or so (carefully), otherwise it will knock into the hour hand

It's a bit tight squeeze, but it will fit :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I haven't yet tried it with a modern explorer, since I'd like to keep that stack correct

EDIT: No other 1570 hands, like hour, min, sec will fit the 2893-2. I tried expanding the hour/min 1570 hands to fit the 2893-2 but

they both broke (hand tube loosened), well that's life :wounded1:

My old GMT II with standard 2836-2 movement (with wrong hand stack) has been working flawlessly for 2 years soon. I'm actually wearing the watch just right now... it's not a real GMT watch, but I'd rather take the wrong stack and reliability over the highly modified bad movement.

The watch is fairly good rep and I (personally) don't see the wrong hand stack such a huge issue as many others here. All pre-1990 GMT Rolexes used this hand order (GMT hand below the hour hand).

202906-1276.jpg

I have a 2893 EXP II. Hand stack is wrong, but I love that movement. Compared to my quartz Nike Altimeter watch, it loses about 30 seconds per month.

Climb on.

I have EXP II white dial with the correct hand stack and the hour hand can set one-hour jump. I think the gen one, hour hand also jumps one hour at a time. I got it from local dealer who told me it is special modified and available in limited quantity. I dont' know what the movement model is since it is very hard to open the back of Rolex. It costs me US$300 2 years ago. That time I just started with the rep. I still keep it till now and love it very much and use it occationally. At the moment I am on Panerai most of the time. But for special occasion, this EXP II is on my wrist.

I have EXP II white dial with the correct hand stack and the hour hand can set one-hour jump. I think the gen one, hour hand also jumps one hour at a time. I got it from local dealer who told me it is special modified and available in limited quantity. I dont' know what the movement model is since it is very hard to open the back of Rolex. It costs me US$300 2 years ago. That time I just started with the rep. I still keep it till now and love it very much and use it occationally. At the moment I am on Panerai most of the time. But for special occasion, this EXP II is on my wrist.

Yours still running OK after 2 years? Mine (2 months old) has the hour hand lagging already. Visually, it's a stunningly accurate rep. The correct hand stack movement (modified 2836-2) is a hit-or-miss. It's still worth buying esp buying it the cheapest you can, i.e. from Wo-mart, $183 after WU fee. The case, the bezel, the crystal height, the bracelet, the correct hand stack, the date font, date window, cyclop are perfect. The dial is good enough. The CGs need a little sanding and the crown needs to be replaced ($55 for a new gen and aftermarket tube). That's about all you need to do to make it visually perfect. When it breaks down, get another one and move the movement over. I'm getting a watchsmith in ShenZhen, China when I go back on vacation in April to see if the modified movement can be simplified to give more reliability. Getting rid of the one-hour jump mechanism may help.

- bm

Yours still running OK after 2 years? Mine (2 months old) has the hour hand lagging already. Visually, it's a stunningly accurate rep. The correct hand stack movement (modified 2836-2) is a hit-or-miss. It's still worth buying esp buying it the cheapest you can, i.e. from Wo-mart, $183 after WU fee. The case, the bezel, the crystal height, the bracelet, the correct hand stack, the date font, date window, cyclop are perfect. The dial is good enough. The CGs need a little sanding and the crown needs to be replaced ($55 for a new gen and aftermarket tube). That's about all you need to do to make it visually perfect. When it breaks down, get another one and move the movement over. I'm getting a watchsmith in ShenZhen, China when I go back on vacation in April to see if the modified movement can be simplified to give more reliability. Getting rid of the one-hour jump mechanism may help.

- bm

Yes, it still works properly. But as I said it does not get much wrist time. But everytime it is ok. All the hands position correctly and not stripping movement. It works quite good when I make a trip aboard. The GMT hand really help to keep the home time and the local time so I don't get lost of feeling at home. I don't know much of the mod of Rolex and your information here is very helpful an useful. I should start to be more active in the Rolex rep beside Panarai that I am doing now.

Cheers.