When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish With Asian 2813 Can It Be Replaced?

Guest sjako

Just wondering... I got my new Steelfish (white dial, brown strap) from Andrew. Excellent watch, thing is build as a tank! Breathes quality :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Movement however seems to be a bit fast and regulating an DG2318 movement might be a bit to much. Thinking about replacing it with an ETA 2824 somewhere in the future. Does anyone know if that would be possible (with not to much efford)? Guess the size of the movement varies quite a bit and also the hands might not be swappable... Would be cool to know!

Cheers!

I have also considered buying the "Steelfish Lite", as 168 USD is a lot cheaper than the 308 USD for the ETA version with AR...

One thing that bugger me is that the cheaper version uses a plastic movement spacer ring! :o

206231-465.jpg

Whereas the similar cheapie "Ultimate PO Lite" uses a proper metal spacer..

206231-466.jpg

Except for the rotor and the color, the two movements looks almost similar...

But, for the price, 1000m water proofness guarantee even of the "Steelfish Lite" is excellent! :)

That's NOT the movement I was thinking of...

That is a copy of a Miyota model, if you have to replace it, you can install a Miyota 2815 and it should be a direct fit. Replacing this with an ETA is an excercise in frustration...

FWIW all Genuine Miyota's come with plastic spacer rings, the ring is also part of the spacer for the datewheel...it does what it should do, and just because it's plastic, it's not a downfall in quality or anything else...

RG

FYI, the Asian 2813 SteelFish can be replaced by ETA-2836-2 movement, not ETA-2824, the Swiss and Asian SteelFish cases are different.

No it can't, not without new hands, the hands are not interchangeable between the Asian and the Swiss...

And to add to that, the spacer ring will not fit, so you will need one of these, the stem will need to be replaced, the dial feet will need to be cut off and replaced or the movement glued to the ETA, then if that wasn't enough, the stem may not line up after all of that work...

Cheaper, and easier to install a Miyota in place of the asian copy.

RG

That is a copy of a Miyota model, if you have to replace it, you can install a Miyota 2815 and it should be a direct fit. Replacing this with an ETA is an excercise in frustration...

How difficult are the Miyota 2815s to source?

I found a 8215 at Ofrei, are your numbers transposed?

-WD

Edited by WatchDude

No it can't, not without new hands, the hands are not interchangeable between the Asian and the Swiss...

And to add to that, the spacer ring will not fit, so you will need one of these, the stem will need to be replaced, the dial feet will need to be cut off and replaced or the movement glued to the ETA, then if that wasn't enough, the stem may not line up after all of that work...

Cheaper, and easier to install a Miyota in place of the asian copy.

RG

Rob,

I can supply all those needed for replacing the Asian 2813 movement to an ETA-2836, the Asian SF case is MADE TO fit the ETA-2836 movement.

But I simply don't suggest to do so because it will look the same as a US$168 SF after this modification, the AR treated sapphire cannot be installed onto the 2813 casekit as well.

Rob,

I can supply all those needed for replacing the Asian 2813 movement to an ETA-2836, the Asian SF case is MADE TO fit the ETA-2836 movement.

But I simply don't suggest to do so because it will look the same as a US$168 SF after this modification, the AR treated sapphire cannot be installed onto the 2813 casekit as well.

Understood...

My intention was to highlight that it was not a straight swap.

In my view, the existing movement or a Miyota replacement is just as good as the ETA...so why bother.

RG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sjako

What a typical end-user comment :bleh:

I hear what you're saying though... I have been a SAP consultant for 10 years now and I can tell you... there are more bad then good ones who can seriously screw up your very expensive ERP system...

If you need any help on FI/CO, BW or SEM-BCS, just give me a PM ;)

@sjako: There are better things in life than "SAP".

Watches are passion and fun. SAP is not !!!!!

• 10 months later...

Question for The Zigmeister???

I just checked over at Ofrei on the Miyota 8215 and it has hand sized listed at 1.00, 1.65. .17 and the Chinese 2813 movement as 1.00, 1.50, 0.17

Does this mean that to switch out the chinese 2813 to the Miyota you would need a new minute hand?