When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Smp With Gen Hands/dial

scoobs1971

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except the poor lume of the rep (which is something that can be noticed only at night), i wouldn't spend money on changing the dial. The dial of the rep is almost perfect to me...

There are bigger flaws on the SMP like the wrong crown guards, wrong pearl and wrong He valve placement which are screaming "rep" to an experienced eye.

The dial is the last part that needs to get better.

Only my opinion though,

so....enjoy your new genuine dial ^_^

Except the poor lume of the rep (which is something that can be noticed only at night), i wouldn't spend money on changing the dial. The dial of the rep is almost perfect to me...

There are bigger flaws on the SMP like the wrong crown guards, wrong pearl and wrong He valve placement which are screaming "rep" to an experienced eye.

The dial is the last part that needs to get better.

Only my opinion though,

so....enjoy your new genuine dial ^_^

I agree that the CG's are pretty obvious, along with the pearl. But the HE valve (IMO) isn't. Actually, I think the date window is a much easier 'flaw' to spot than the HE valve.

I've been thinking of doing this very same mod to my SMP. It's going to depend on the size of my bonus this spring. If there's anything left over after paying for my wedding, I'm going to be buying a Gen anyhow (and the fiance' has expressed an interest in helping as a kind of wedding gift!). But if not, I'll likely do the dial/hands on my rep and maybe attempt to mod the CG's to look more like the gen.

Either way the watch looks great, Scoobs!

SR

Thnx guys!

This is the dial I ordered: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437304

Note that they show the pic of the quartz SMP Dial. However, the part is for the Automatic version. To be sure check with them before you order.

These are the hour and minute hands: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437305

And the seconds hand: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437306

I don´t wanna go into the discussion of the accuracy of the HEV, the pearl, the crown and crown guards..;)

As a newbie, frankly, I don´t care. Most of the people won´t even know how a gen looks. Let alone know these flaws..

However, the quality of the dial printing on my rep (bought recently from one of our dealers) was noticeably poor. Even for the untrained eye. Maybe there are different qualities of reps between our dealers. I dunno....

Anyway, I´m a very happy guy now. Not in the last place because this was my first mod :)

Thnx guys!

This is the dial I ordered: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437304

Note that they show the pic of the quartz SMP Dial. However, the part is for the Automatic version. To be sure check with them before you order.

These are the hour and minute hands: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437305

And the seconds hand: http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=437306

I don´t wanna go into the discussion of the accuracy of the HEV, the pearl, the crown and crown guards..;)

As a newbie, frankly, I don´t care. Most of the people won´t even know how a gen looks. Let alone know these flaws..

However, the quality of the dial printing on my rep (bought recently from one of our dealers) was noticeably poor. Even for the untrained eye. Maybe there are different qualities of reps between our dealers. I dunno....

Anyway, I´m a very happy guy now. Not in the last place because this was my first mod :)

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out right now :D

I know what you mean about accuracy. My Planet Ocean is not a particularly accurate rep, but I prefer the inaccruracies over the gen anyway. (Serifs on a that font?? Crazy :D ) My 2531.80 project watch would only pass as an Omega to someone who knows nothing about watches (aka the majority of Joe Public :D ) but I still really like it, and actually prefer it over my Submariner, which has fooled an experienced jeweller into thinking it was genuine. Accuracy isn't always everything, and if you like the watch, that's all that matters :thumbsupsmileyanim:

There certainly are. The SMP rep of today isn't a patch on the one that was available 18-24 months ago. As spa said, the rep dial of old was almost indistinguishable from gen in terms of colour, wave pattern, dial print and even the lume. Small deteriorations have appeared with successive versions of the watch - the strap endlinks going from 5-piece to single cast pieces, screws instead of pins, a bizarre inexplicable switch of dial print font to the one used on the black faced model, pearl putting on weight, depth of wave pattern diminishing....

Small deteriorations have appeared with successive versions of the watch - the strap endlinks going from 5-piece to single cast pieces, screws instead of pins, a bizarre inexplicable switch of dial print font to the one used on the black faced model, pearl putting on weight, depth of wave pattern diminishing....

... missing hour marker at 3 O'Clock position (correct for the midsize version of the watch, but not the full size) :(

There certainly are. The SMP rep of today isn't a patch on the one that was available 18-24 months ago. As spa said, the rep dial of old was almost indistinguishable from gen in terms of colour, wave pattern, dial print and even the lume. Small deteriorations have appeared with successive versions of the watch - the strap endlinks going from 5-piece to single cast pieces, screws instead of pins, a bizarre inexplicable switch of dial print font to the one used on the black faced model, pearl putting on weight, depth of wave pattern diminishing....

oops i didn't know that...I had in mind my SMP which i guess belongs to the older versions...

They constantly fail to follow any standards huh ? :bicycle:

Whilst it is easy for people to criticise why people have mods done, it seems to me that it's about what pleases the owner and you should certainly be happy with your improved SMP. Wear it well.

Absolutely. This is certainly the theory I am working towards with my 2531.80 project watch. I know it won't be accurate to gen, but that is not my goal. My goal is simply to make it look better than it looks now. As I've said before about my Planet Ocean, I know it is inaccurate, but I prefer the inaccuracies over the details of the gen, so I'd have no reason to mod it. In my mind, unless someone is genuinely someone that really will notice any minor variations from gen standard, and it will genuinely spoil their enjoyment of that watch, the only reason for trying to mod a rep to gen standard, is the (unspoken) desire for it to pass as genuine.

Thnx Canon Pinion!

This was exactly my point. For me the rep dial was really looking cheap. I didn´t enjoy this rep at all. Now that I replaced the dial and hands for gen parts, it has become a very nice quality looking watch. That is what makes me happy!

And of course the fact that in the end I succeeded in my first mod after first messing up a set of gen hands and damaging the keyless work of the original movement, hahaha.

I am in no way the person who criticises oher people decisisons, especially when we speak about personal taste here.

I just participate in the discussion by posting my "personal" opinion on the subjects...

That's why i said : "enjoy your new gen dial".

It's simply a move that i wouldn't do with my (older version) smp...

I just wanted to participate in the topic by expressing my opinion which can be wrong after all...but that's what a forum is meant to be -> a collection of ideas and opinions. No?

Cheers,

have a nice day and enjoy your reps.

I just wanted to participate in the topic by expressing my opinion which can be wrong after all...but that's what a forum is meant to be -> a collection of ideas and opinions. No?

You opinion is certainly appreciated! That's the beauty of this forum. Everybody can have his opinion and should.

And from an economical point of view the mods I did are probably too expensive for what the rep is worth. Especially when you take into consideration that you can buy a used gen SMP for about E 900,- or maybe less.

But modding is just fun to do... :)

Cheers! :1a:

• 1 month later...
Total cost of this watch?

E 195,- for the rep

E 35,- for the hands

E 85,- for the dial

E 20,- for the insert

E 80,- for the ETA 2824-2

So in total E 415,- excluding shipping costs.

But since it was my first mod I first messed up a pair of hands and the keyless work on top of it. So I had to re-order a new set of hands and decided to buy a new sealed 2824 as well. Not really necessary, but now I have a movement to experiment with... :) And since the sealed ETA