When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Three Of A Kind

ubiquitous

Guest chronomat123

:black_eye: ..............arghhh

I keep trying to convince myself I don't need one, and just when I've finally made some progress, you post these 3. LOL

Beautiful work. I'm Sure EK will love it.

What's the story on the 17 jewel movado chrono movt? What is it? And is it commonly found in rep daytona's?

The 17j Movado 3019 PHC is also known as the Zenith El Primero 400. Zenith and Movado had developed the El Primero together, which is also the base movement found in a number of other watches, e.g. Rolex, Daniel Roth, Concord, Ebel 1911, Zenith, Panerai, etc. This can be a difficult movement to find- But more common in the Movado 17j 3019's; the newer 3019/400's have 31 jewels:

208513-52.jpg

208513-53.jpg

The above are two of the El Primero 400's I used to build my personal franken-Daytonas. As it is the same movement Rolex uses in the 16520 Daytona, it makes for an accurate franken.

Ubi, was it difficult fitting the Movado movement into the daytona case?

Difficult? No. I can put one of these together now in about 30 minutes. The hard, and expensive part is culling all the parts needed :)

Excellent Daytonas from the Daytona King!! :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sincere thanks, Falco. I am humbled... -_-

Many thanks to Randy for his horological-surgeon skills!

My pleasure.

• 1 year later...

Ubi I don't know how I missed this thread. Amazing!

I have a question - you say you can put one together in 30 minutes - does it mean you leave date stuff in the movement? Does it need to be deinstalled from the movement in order to fit 16520 case?

I am asking because M is right now assembling mine and he said that it should all fit even with date untouched.

I wonder how you do it.

• 1 month later...

Maciek-

When I build these guys, I remove all the calendar components, however I didn't put the stop pin in place to eliminate the date setting position with the crown (since it's the 3rd stop, I figure it's not a huge deal and not critical to function).

The date components should be removed in my opinion- Those parts add extra height to the movement and thus hinder the movement/dial from fitting the case correctly (it offsets the stem position slightly).

Wow. A little behind the board Ubi, and therefore the curve.

When 'Sql_pl' posted a query a few days ago with regard to a 'hand' situation, referenced the El Primero, and I saw the correct sub-dial spacing for the 16520, I mused; Damn, the man got a gen. 16520!!?? I demured posting there as I really didn't have any good input to his situation but my interest was surely piqued! I might have known you were behind the scenes.....................

These are amazing pieces. Just wow.

MB,

Thanks, kind sir. Been a while since I've posted; this original post is even older yet (wow... Nearly 2 years old...).

Time flies when you're having fun :)

Hi Ubi, WOW. Are you willing to take in more of these? I'm quite willing to pay for yr amazing skills and time!