When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VC Malte Tourbillon Tonneau

lefty47

What was it Greenspan said beore the dot com bubble burst.....Irrational Exuberance!

Good luck with your dive into very rare rep ownership. I'd love for more than a couple of owners to step up and testify to perormance and reliability but there isn't a big database here to make a statistics based decision. It's one big gamble. Your wife's against it? Good Luck!

What was it Greenspan said beore the dot com bubble burst.....Irrational Exuberance!

........................................................there isn't a big database here to make a statistics based decision. It's one big gamble.

No there arnt many owners, but those lucky few that have that mantle seem very happy with them................ownership of a real tourbillon whether it bears a Rep Logo or not, is after all NOT it seems for the masses.

If however you do want a 'no gamble', tawdry, 'no soul' rep that enables you to 'follow the herd' then the choice is preordained........go get a farging sub.

No there arnt many owners, but those lucky few that have that mantle seem very happy with them................ownership of a real tourbillon whether it bears a Rep Logo or not, is after all NOT it seems for the masses.

If however you do want a 'no gamble', tawdry, 'no soul' rep that enables you to 'follow the herd' then the choice is preordained........go get a farging sub.

Spoken like a true dealer!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

For a long time I lusted after a tourbillion. But then I read this http://www.europastar.com/europastar/watch.../tourbillon.jsp

Now I'm not so eager.

Yeah, I lusted after a specific Picasso for years. But then I learned that the damned thing was only regular paint, (oil, at that) canvas, and wood. Can you imagine? No plutonium or pixie dust? For 3.2mil? Ridiculous!

I would also like to point out that the Hope Diamond is just compressed coal, and therefore also has no value. :huh:

For a long time I lusted after a tourbillion. But then I read this http://www.europastar.com/europastar/watch.../tourbillon.jsp

Now I'm not so eager.

Dead link.

EDIT OOPS....not dead yet......

...hey, I'm by no means a tourbi basher, they are MAHHHvalous...and, they are strictly a technological piece of window dressing in a wristwatch. I think Breuget would be amused at the frivolity of a tourbillon in a wristwatch

Good luck with your dive into very rare rep ownership. I'd love for more than a couple of owners to step up and testify to perormance and reliability but there isn't a big database here to make a statistics based decision. It's one big gamble. Your wife's against it? Good Luck!

If I had taken my wife's advise on buying reps, I wouldn't own a pretty nice collection of over thirty pieces. I would still be wearing my boring old Rolex TT Datejust. If she had taken my advise, she wouldn't have bought Starbucks Stock in 1990 at about five bucks a share. After 18 years together, we have both developed "selective listening skills." Seems to be working out OK.

If I had taken my wife's advise on buying reps, I wouldn't own a pretty nice collection of over thirty pieces. I would still be wearing my boring old Rolex TT Datejust. If she had taken my advise, she wouldn't have bought Starbucks Stock in 1990 at about five bucks a share. After 18 years together, we have both developed "selective listening skills." Seems to be working out OK.

Sorry, didn't mean to give you the impression I was questioning the internal stability of your marriage and how it might deal with an impulse buy. Lord knows, mine has had it's gyroscope wobbled over the years by my addiction for wrist candy. The thread is starting to smell like "got the last word in" so I'll bow out. Good luck with your tourbi!!!

CK

• 1 month later...
If you can afford it, I would buy one of the real tourbillons that you can get from River (and others). These movements are of the same quality of a Breguet.

Come on, you can't be serious <_<

Those are incredible movements, but still low end tourbillon, and beside, those are 'blancpain style' tourbi, Breget's are the top of the crop and are far more complex.

Edited by FasTTaP

Now I have not bought a Tourbillon (yet), but having just dropped close to a grand on a rep, I feel somewhat qualified to comment.

1) The rep will never, ever be as good as the gen. This rep's quality appears better than most.

2) You will not buy a gen Tourbillon for under a grand (I mean a gen Marque, not gen tourbillon)

3) If you really love the watch, and this is a migthy fine looking timepiece, you should get it. You wont see yourself coming and going, and based upon the quality of this movement, I would suspect that if you had it serviced, you will be able to enjoy it for a long time.

The perceived value of a rep watch to it's wearer is far more important than the actual monetary value. Outside of our little community, these heavily modded and swiss movement reps have little or no actual value. I could be wearing the most plain Rolex in the world, take it to a pawnshop and get some cash. Not so with these reps. However- the reps we collect here are a hobby for us- so the value goes beyond the material worth. A baseball card is printed on paper (so is money for that matter)- so what is it really worth.

If you like the watch, and there do not seem to be any major downsides- get it. I would.

Post pics when you get it.

-O

Oh, and one last thing...

The genuine of this watch costs 135,000 dollars- so unless you are Elton John, anyone who knows watches will call it instantly.

This would not disuade me from purchasing it though- 'cos its cool.

-O

$135K = Elton John !!!!!!!!

What drugs are you on?

$135 at todays rates is only about 67K GBP Tony Vouchers......

I dont think I know anyone personally who couldnt very quickly lay hands to that level of cash

OK- being able to get 135thousand dollars is one thing- but getting 135thousand dollars to drop on a watch, rather than say pay off your mortgage, your student loans, etc... is another.

You need to have a pretty fair level of disposable income to drop that kind of dosh on a watch.

-O

3) If you really love the watch, and this is a migthy fine looking timepiece, you should get it. You wont see yourself coming and going, and based upon the quality of this movement, I would suspect that if you had it serviced, you will be able to enjoy it for a long time.

238305-10614.jpg

I'd love to buy a skeleton tourbi (probably a 'no brand', since the breguet one sounds silly bearing a Blancpain style tourbi) but I don't see how I'm gonna get it serviced here in France...

Could The Zigmeister or anybody on this board provide such service ?

My guess is that those are really difficult to service, no ?

Edited by FasTTaP

I wouldn't get the VC Tourbillon at any price for a couple of reasons. 1) It's a carriage tourbillon and VC doesn't use them so having the VC brand of that watch is a "fatal" flaw if accuracy is an issue. I think Brequet or Blancpain do use carriage tourbillons but I remember them being @ 12:00 not 6.

If one of River's center tourbillons can be made to fit in a reasonablly accurate faux tourbillon case, that would be the way to go IMO since most tourbillons in gens are center tourbillon's like River's. The Muller Long island faux tourbillon is fairly accurate, for example. But you'd still have the problem would be pulling off wearing a "gen" tourbillon watch. Anyone who knows what a real tourbillon is is going to say, "shyeah right," unless of course you can clearly afford a real tourbillon---in which case you'd just take the AE Black card into the nearest AD...know what I mean?

So....if you want a tourbillon watch just because you think they're cool apart from any "cachet" you get by appearing to wear a 100k plus timepiece, I'd buy one of theno name or "off brand" tourbies available from many online watch dealers. That way, you'll get your tpurbillon and a warranty and no worries about accuracy.

I wouldn't get the VC Tourbillon at any price for a couple of reasons. 1) It's a carriage tourbillon and VC doesn't use them so having the VC brand of that watch is a "fatal" flaw if accuracy is an issue. I think Brequet or Blancpain do use carriage tourbillons but I remember them being @ 12:00 not 6.

If one of River's center tourbillons can be made to fit in a reasonablly accurate faux tourbillon case, that would be the way to go IMO since most tourbillons in gens are center tourbillon's like River's. The Muller Long island faux tourbillon is fairly accurate, for example. But you'd still have the problem would be pulling off wearing a "gen" tourbillon watch. Anyone who knows what a real tourbillon is is going to say, "shyeah right," unless of course you can clearly afford a real tourbillon---in which case you'd just take the AE Black card into the nearest AD...know what I mean?

So....if you want a tourbillon watch just because you think they're cool apart from any "cachet" you get by appearing to wear a 100k plus timepiece, I'd buy one of theno name or "off brand" tourbies available from many online watch dealers. That way, you'll get your tpurbillon and a warranty and no worries about accuracy.

I've got the full skeletonized Breguet flying tourby; had it for almost a year now. It was close to a grand, I guess, when I got it; bought from Josh.

I spent a long time thinking about it before I bought it. I couldn't get it out of my head. It's a rep; yes - but it is also a REAL flying tourbillon. Where the hell else are you going to be able to get that for $900.00 or so? The gen skeletonized Breguet flying tourbillon is $90,000.00! Now true, mine is not made of platinum or plated in white gold, and does not have a wonderful gen Breguet movement - but it does keep the best time of all my reps (17 or so at this writing); hell, it keeps better time than half my gens!

The bottom line is it depends what you're looking for. No one else you are likely ever to meet in person will have a real flying tourbillon watch. It's functional and beautiful. It's unique. If that's worth it to you, then go for it.

I'd rather have one completely unique $900.00 watch I love than three $300.00 reps that everyone has.

I think the vintage rollie guys would agree, no? With all your mods and the base watch, what did your 1665 MBWs cost? But it