When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Great Double White dial Project

poopypants

Match the dial to the white hands. To me, the white dial and markers just looks cleaner. Yellow hands and markers look... Well, fake. The ideal color for both dial and hands, in my opinion would be a creamy beige-white. Just a little off white.

I used to love the aged/patina'd look... But over time, my tastes have changed to cleaner aesthetics. I still like a bit of patina... But only if it's a result from natural wear and tear :)

Guest avitt

I'm with Ubi on this. I originally preferred the yellow, patina'd look, but my tastes have changed. In fact, I'm replacing the dial in my DRSD for one that has an off-white appearance.

im with everyone else on this, go white.

patina is nice but only if its there through the ravages of time and a reaction to elements over the years. if its not and is added through paint etc on the rolex models it always looks wrong to my mind. the dial face and marker texture is never right for the level of patina showing giving the result that it always looks just painted yellow.

my 5512 still has pure white markers and hands and i love the clean and fresh look the watch has. my 5513 has yellowed quite a bit and this is nice too, it gives it character that for sure, both are original but stick them side by side and the white of the 5512 just has something extra.

212458-16406.jpg

212458-16407.jpg

Guest avitt

@thewightstuff, both of those dials are striking! They are both perfect, from where I sit.

Arguing the other side for a moment: There is the concern that, with too much white (bright white markers, GW dial - like the second picture in my post above), the watch will be mistaken for a modern Seadweller, and lose some of its vintage mystique...Maybe this doesn't matter to PP?

Edited by avitt

thanks guys... you have persuaded to go white lume on the dots...

i figured i would get more comments about the DOUBLE WHITE dial but, thanks for staying on task and persuading me to get the dots relumed to a white...

when i looked at the images above... my eyes went directly to the whiter versions...

I have made my case and bracelet look like a "refinished vintage" so i might as well continue with that process throughout...

*** maybe if i were going for the beat up grey bezel insert, missing pearl, and rounded off everything... i would stick to patina, but its just not me...

white, it is!

Thanks All!

PP

Ubi, (to me) the shiny, new dot and shiny, new case throws the whole look off...

how did you get that patina look? peanut oil?

i still think i am going to have it re-lumed with white dots... even though its cheaper to just have the hands done...

i think i would like it more in the long run...

PP