When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! I can't decide!

Corgi

Hello friends,

Lately, I've been seriously considering a submariner. However, I am torn between the full gold and two-tone version. The main difference between the two is that full uses a thin plate of 18K gold while TT has a thicker 14K wrap - it would be a watch I would wear frequently. The prices are even almost identical, too.

If you were in my position, which one would you get?

(Of course, if you think I'm making a mistake altogether, and would like to recommend a watch other than a submariner, I'd like to hear your opinion as well.)

TWO-TONE:

214638-15935.jpg

214638-15936.jpg

above: genuine

FULL-GOLD:

214638-15937.jpg

214638-15938.jpg

above: genuine

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the matter!

The TT looks nicer than the full gold. However, I would suggest something completely different. If you definitely want a Sub, I would suggest one of these Vintage Beauties:

214650-15930.jpg

If you were willing to go for a different brand, I would suggest a Planet Ocean 42mm on SS bracelet. Even though my PO was less accurate than my Sub, that got priority wrist time as it is, in all honesty, a vastly superior watch. I can't wait till it comes back from getting the crown repaired, I'm really starting to miss it.

I already have an Omega SMP Chronometer and a Panerai Luminor 44mm Power Reserve....

The vintage Rollies are OK, but are suspicious to wear as well - who owns a completely flawless wristwatch from the 1950s or 1960s with absolutely no wear and tear on any of the parts?

So far the consensus seems to point to the two-tone...

I already have an Omega SMP Chronometer and a Panerai Luminor 44mm Power Reserve....

The vintage Rollies are OK, but are suspicious to wear as well - who owns a completely flawless wristwatch from the 1950s or 1960s with absolutely no wear and tear on any of the parts?

So far the consensus seems to point to the two-tone...

When I get one, I'm going to find someone to 'distress' it, so it will look like a 60 year old watch ;)

The Planet Ocean might make a nice change from your SMP Chronometer, and, as far as display visibility goes, they are way superior to the Subs. Of the ones you've shown, I'd agree that the TT looks the nicest, but I personally wouldn't buy either, but that's just me. If you fancy living dangerously, why try this...

1 = Rolex TT Black

2 = Omega Planet Ocean

3 = Rolex Solid Gold Black

4 = Rolex Solid Gold Blue

5 = Rolex SS Vintage

6 = Rolex TT Blue.

Now roll a dice, and whichever number comes up, that's the watch you buy ;)

The TT subs have some issues that make them further from ideal than the stainless subs. The best TT subs seem to be a rare animal. I wont get into the wrapped center links bologna, but be aware your winding crown and bezel are plated for sure. Plated crowns have a short wear life. Many of these have blue dial color issues as well. The curved endlink that's plated can be a dead giveaway.

The cheaper stainless sub is usually a much better, closer replica.

A full gold sub? Echhhh. Way too much gold or my tastes.

Solid Midlinks, Crown & Bezel TT,... from any color clothes or accessories...you can't go wrong with it,..

I don't think these are solid... I guess if I wanted solid gold I would just add a few hundred bucks and get the gen!

But I am leaning towards the TT myself too...

Hi, I've been a fan of the blue TT Sub for awhile, haven't found one with a nice dark blue-like-gen dial and bezel insert though. The blue is always too light and bright, especially in sunlight. I know the gen blue is very hard to match but, why don't the rep makers go dark on the blue dial and bezel insert?

The blue TT Sub you show from Josh's site - such a prettty dark, almost black blue, look how it works with the gold - absolutely gorgeous.

Sadly, I'm sure it's the lighting he used for the shot, I'd bet the blue is much brighter, I'd ask him about that. If it's like the pic, I want one, it's beautiful.

I own the all gold blue dial that you have pictured, have had it about a year now. I don't wear it everyday by any means, but I've worn it enough to know that wear through in the plating isn't a problem, at least not in the near term. I think the stories of wear through harken to the days of really bad replicas. Mine appears to be about the quality that Joshua sells. In fact, I think the guy I bought it from buys from Joshua meaning I probably paid about $100 too much. It's a heavy watch, looks impressive on the wrist and mine keeps dead on time, +/- 5 seconds or so a day or actual chronometer standards.

What is a problem for any gold filled or gold plated watch is a propensity to tarnish. This is true not only of reps, but also genuine gold filled and gold plated watches. In addition to my interest in reps, I'm also a vintage gen collector. I can tell you that I've never seen a solid gold watch that was prone to tarnishing and never owned a gold filled or gold plated that didn't tarnish, at least to some degree. I'm not an expert, but I would guess that the problem relates to a reaction between the gold and the base medal.

The solution for tarnish is to polish, polish, polish. Connoissers makes an excellent polishing cloth that can do the trick. The white side is for cleaning, the pink side for polishing. Realize that tarnish on a supposed $20,000+ watch is a dead give away. There is no way that a genuine Rolex would tarnish. (The way that you can spot the tarnish is that unfornuately, it nevers seems to tarnish evenly). The down side to keeping it polished is that it always looks virtually new. You'll have to come up with your own story to tell on that front. I usually just reply that I'm a dweeb who sits in front of the tv polishing my watches.

The solution for tarnish is to polish, polish, polish. Connoissers makes an excellent polishing cloth that can do the trick.

Can you please point me in the direction of one of these cloths? Perhaps an ebay link so I know what you're referring to?

As a gold lover, this seems like a very important thing to own....

Also, I've made my decision... the TT it is! I've just come to realize it looks better... I'll get it when the snow melts away. This is a watch that's meant to be worn with short sleeves.

I prefer the look of the TT, but i don't think i'd get one as i don't wear suits nearly often enough to pull it off, and to me, a TT sub is not a watch for daily wear.

If you can get in touch with EL he has tw made full gold sub which he states

"it is the best tw maker

with real gold wrapped tripple .

gold content 0.64

most of the gold sub or ym are just 0.14 gold plated, and made in china

this piece is prep by heated gold application and cooling thus the gold will

penetrate into the mincropores of the supporting alloy."

Can you please point me in the direction of one of these cloths? Perhaps an ebay link so I know what you're referring to?

Also, I've made my decision... the TT it is! I've just come to realize it looks better... I'll get it when the snow melts away. This is a watch that's meant to be worn with short sleeves.

If you do a search on Connoissers polishing cloths via google you will find some for sure. Many good jewelry stores also carry them. I bought mine via ebay and simply did a search on gold polishing cloths, Connoissers polishing cloths etc until I found them. Full retail is about $8 or so, it seems that I got a dozen on ebay for around $30. They're not hard to find and work great.

• 2 months later...

Corgi! Good decision! I own the Gen (Blue TT) and I used to wear it all year round even going to bed. Never left my wrist for 2 years until I got my Breitling Titanium Aerospace. Beat the crap out of that watch (the Sub, I mean). And then I discovered REPS.....now those Gen watches haven't seen the light of day for awhile now. Just ordered the Rolex TT Black GMT Master II and White Explorer II from Joshua with the IWC Costeau, so now I don't think my Gen babies well ever come out of hibernation. Please let us know how your TT Sub is holding up. Who did you buy it from. Did you have it serviced and waterproofed? Just curious 'cause I ordered mine waterproofed! Good luck and wear it well.

Edited by HikeUSA

From my standpoint... I'd personally do the TT 16613. Why?

1) You can still shape the CG's if necessary (on the all gold 16618 you cannot due to the plating)

2) You can easily replace the dial and bezel insert with genuine parts (which are also easily found and usually sell for $400 for the set).

3) Same goes for the crown and tube.

4) It makes for a versatile watch- Just a subtle bit of bling, but not too over the top that you couldn't wear it with casual clothes as well as smart business attire.

TT is not typically my style... But if I was going to do a Sub with Gold, that would be my choice...

:)