When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So Called Perfect Submariner Water Resistance

teknotronik

I just got my "so called prefect" submariner from Paul today and i was wondering how much water contact the watch can handle??? Is it okay for me to wash my hand with it on as long as the crown is screwed in tight or is that too much??? Also if i did want to make the watch water reststant or water proof what would i have to do to the watch??? If anyone can point me in the right direction... thanks in advance.

i shower with mine on, but i haven't tested it submersed yet. do a search on testing for water resistance, there are a few tests you can do with a glass of water.

I spent two weeks in Greece during the summer 2006 and I was swimming every day with my "cheap" sub rep.

It's was not my "So called perfect from Paul though".

The watch did not have any problem but the pearl fade away totaly.

Most of reps I have are ok to swim with, surely not to dive I guess, but my position is to avoid to swim with watches in general.

If it's in a pool, there are too many products that can hurt the watch and if it is the sea well it's the salt...

Depending on what you prefer: keep them forever in good state or...

Cheers

Stephane

I agree entirely with Stephane... if this was a once time purchase and you want it to last as long as possible, then I would avoid water contact. On the other hand, if you're like me and prefer your things to look like they were hit by a truck, then swim away.

So you know, my Yachtmaster that I bought from a 'scam site' has held up wonderfully - including snorkerling to 15 feet or so. Just my two bits

Edit* Oh, and I think RBJ does water proofing - though I have no experience with him so I can't say one way or the other

I just got my "so called prefect" submariner from Paul today and i was wondering how much water contact the watch can handle??? Is it okay for me to wash my hand with it on as long as the crown is screwed in tight or is that too much??? Also if i did want to make the watch water reststant or water proof what would i have to do to the watch??? If anyone can point me in the right direction... thanks in advance.

My SCPS from Paul is an excellent watch and is most definitely able to handle normal swimming duties (normal, as in 10 feet or less like you find in a run-of-the-mill swimming pool). BUT, on mine the caseback was not screwed down very tightly. I have a Rolex caseback tool and was able to get a full 90 degrees turn before it was 'tight'. I'd check that first before getting it wet.

SR

Considering there is zero QC on these watches, at least check it beforehand.

Remove the case back and make sure there is a rubber gasket there. Coat it with a thin film of silicone grease and properly tighten the case. As SR mentioned, the case backs frequently arrive loose from the factory. Also, lightly coat the crown rubber O ring with the same.

Without having it pressure tested, it's a gamble. The above can be easily done and and would certainly help seal the case.

If you consider the rep disposable, go ahead and swim. Many can attest to good water resistance but only after some owner checks first. Greasing o rings and making sure the caseback is tight are essentials.

Remember, water resistance ratings are relative. Bars, meters or feet of water resistance are static pressure measurements. One can put a 150m rated watch through enough pressure to breach the seals simply by diving into a pool.

My sub from andrew has had some water on it without any problems. Never went swimming with it though - but considering that it took me like an hour to get that damn caseback open with a caseback opener... then I'd say it's mine is/waspretty waterproof :)

/Award

Remove the case back and make sure there is a rubber gasket there. Coat it with a thin film of silicone grease and properly tighten the case. As SR mentioned, the case backs frequently arrive loose from the factory. Also, lightly coat the crown rubber O ring with the same.

Do i have to get one of those expensive "Rolex waterproof caseback openers", or will any caseback opener do the job to get the caseback tight enough to make it water proof? As far as the silicone grease will any silicon grease get the job done?

Do i have to get one of those expensive "Rolex waterproof caseback openers", or will any caseback opener do the job to get the caseback tight enough to make it water proof? As far as the silicone grease will any silicon grease get the job done?

I've opened Rolex rep casebacks with a wadded up rubber glove and there's the ever popular ball of duct tape. The tape will play havoc with your hologram sticker though.

The generic container of silicon grease I have say's it's specifically for watches but I don't know if there's a difference.

I have to say though, I just don't get the "I have to wear my replica Submariner in water" crowd. The litany of reasons has never made any sense to me. "Who is going to think it's real if I take it off before I go into the pool?" Well, I don't know of a single reasonable person who would fault you for removing a watch that suposedly costs $5000, no matter what the WR rating is, before diving into the drink. I have 2 expensive genuines that are supposedly bulletproof underwater and there is no way in hell they get anywhere near the briney deep. Not when they cost me $4000. My Seiko diver is an incredible water resistant watch and, should disaster strike like say a $0.20 spring bar fail, it going to the bottom isn't going to cause me to stick a knife in my eye. My replicas are showpieces no matter what they look like they are supposed to do. I keep them high and dry!!!

I have a JAX that I use with most every other caseback except a Rolex. I've not tried to open my Rolex yet, but many report success using a folded piece of duct tape. I think they fold it over so that the sticky side is out and it will adhere to both your hand and the case. Then take a breath, turn, and grunt. Oh and shake the pain out of your hand when you got it open! Seriously, it what people say they use and it certainly wouldn't scratch the case like many tools would.

/Tim

The better the equipment, the better the results.

218680-15094.jpg

I've opened Rolex rep casebacks with a wadded up rubber glove and there's the ever popular ball of duct tape. The tape will play havoc with your hologram sticker though.

The generic container of silicon grease I have say's it's specifically for watches but I don't know if there's a difference.

I have to say though, I just don't get the "I have to wear my replica Submariner in water" crowd. The litany of reasons has never made any sense to me. "Who is going to think it's real if I take it off before I go into the pool?" Well, I don't know of a single reasonable person who would fault you for removing a watch that suposedly costs $5000, no matter what the WR rating is, before diving into the drink. I have 2 expensive genuines that are supposedly bulletproof underwater and there is no way in hell they get anywhere near the briney deep. Not when they cost me $4000. My Seiko diver is an incredible water resistant watch and, should disaster strike like say a $0.20 spring bar fail, it going to the bottom isn't going to cause me to stick a knife in my eye. My replicas are showpieces no matter what they look like they are supposed to do. I keep them high and dry!!!

Its not that i want to go diving with it or what not, but my Sub is my daily watch and i wear it 24/7. I dont want to have to be taking it off ever time i shower or wash my hands, and if i do jump in a pool or the ocean for a quick swim i would like to keep my watch on. Its more for personal piece of mind then to try and impress someone by passing off the rep as a gen.

Its not that i want to go diving with it or what not, but my Sub is my daily watch and i wear it 24/7. I dont want to have to be taking it off ever time i shower or wash my hands, and if i do jump in a pool or the ocean for a quick swim i would like to keep my watch on. Its more for personal piece of mind then to try and impress someone by passing off the rep as a gen.

Then send it to one of our guys and have them water test it and check all the seals. A grey maket type watch repairman might be willing to take on your shady goods as well. But in all honestly, learn to do it your self (there are postings here describing the process) or don't worry about it. To take it to someone will probably cost you a bit of money. You can pick up a new sub rep for $175 these days so many take the attitude that they will wear it until it breaks and then get a new one.

/Tim

Teknotronik, r11co is damn right man.

You cannot continue to over post because it's useless.

I have a question for you by the way: why don't you spend some $ to support the board instead of being apprentice ?

Cheers

Stephane

Why dont i spend the money??? I wont support a board where i have people like you and rico getting all worked up over questions i ask on here. Who are you to ask me why i havent spent the money on supporting the board?