When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I bought a PAM217

dazzla

After looking for what seems an eternity I settled on a Panerai, then what seemed like another eternity I settled on 3 models. PAM111H/177H, PAM217H and PAM127. Now, seeing as this is my first rep I wanted a bit of a taster so I was thinking of picking up the 111H (or 177H) and 217H with Asian movements from Andrew and if I'm happy with the watches (and I can pull off the 217) I'll go for the 127 from Davidsen.

I've read a lot into comparison of models, and a bit on Asian 6497 movements and I've seen the responses us newcomers get for asking about movements and comparison of Asian 6497's and Swiss 6497's. I've been told the movement details are more refined on the Swiss 6497's but the Asian movement isn't a bad alternative.

So, my question really is do you think it's wise picking up the two watches first as I am instead of picking up a Swiss 217H on it's own (as I would've done, sucker for the 47MM and the "Marina Militare")?

Also whilst I'm here, I've spotted a few straps from BOB that I'd be picking up as well, are there any other recommended places for straps?

Cheers for your help

Darryl

Edited by dazzla

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a follow up here, I posted this in the dealer feedback thread for Andrew but I don't think that's visible by default. I ended up picking up an Asian 217 in the end, just a taster of things to come.

Here's a few pics. I won't post the traditional super close ups, there are people who've done a far better job of that then I could such as Rolli, I've tried to show them on the wrist but not the traditional super close up wrist shot, it doesn't give much perspective.

224929-13517.jpg 224929-13518.jpg

Excuse the room in the background, it's not mine. I'll post a few more when the Bob strap gets fitted. For those interested, here's the toy it came in:

224929-13519.jpg

If I was in your position, I would have gone for one (1) of really good quality instead of getting three with lower quality movements. The Swiss Eta you will allways be able to service and get spareparts for and you should be able to keep it for a long time. I would therefore go for a 111 or 177 from Davidsen. It seems like he offers the best possible quality and he has also not been involved in any of the problems with fake movements and false statements etc which I think is also nice. By getting one good watch you will have a watch to keep, by getting three lower quality you might end up with three watches in not working soon, and even if a fake watch is rather cheap, three of them still add up to some serious money. So, start with a good quality 111/177, which is a more useful size, have it for a while see if you like and then after that you can start thinking about a 127, or maybe you want to go for a gen 111. The 127 is beautiful watch but it also very large, maybe even too large for many and therefore you might not use it so much. And a wathc that is not used is a allways a waste of money. Before buying a 127, you should also check up the crystal. Several members here at the forum has had problems with them, they simply crack without any particular reason.

After looking for what seems an eternity I settled on a Panerai, then what seemed like another eternity I settled on 3 models. PAM111H/177H, PAM217H and PAM127. Now, seeing as this is my first rep I wanted a bit of a taster so I was thinking of picking up the 111H (or 177H) and 217H with Asian movements from Andrew and if I'm happy with the watches (and I can pull off the 217) I'll go for the 127 from Davidsen.

I've read a lot into comparison of models, and a bit on Asian 6497 movements and I've seen the responses us newcomers get for asking about movements and comparison of Asian 6497's and Swiss 6497's. I've been told the movement details are more refined on the Swiss 6497's but the Asian movement isn't a bad alternative.

So, my question really is do you think it's wise picking up the two watches first as I am instead of picking up a Swiss 217H on it's own (as I would've done, sucker for the 47MM and the "Marina Militare")?

Also whilst I'm here, I've spotted a few straps from BOB that I'd be picking up as well, are there any other recommended places for straps?

Cheers for your help

Darryl

Hmm, thanks for the reply. It's a shame it's a few days too late as the 217 has pretty much died. The seconds stop ticking pretty often, usually working for 20 seconds or so before stopping. Anyone come across that before?

I'm quite happy with the size but of course now I'm returning it and trading up for a Swiss version I'm getting into Davidsen price territory which is ultimately where everyone directs you to go.

Here's a pic of the movement, anything stand out?

225477-13412.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that. Not hugely fussed to be honest.

But, here's the kicker. I'd like to think I'm not the first to do this, after paying attention to the movement whilst winding it seems I was winding in the wrong direction the majority of the time :whistling: Who would believe that! :mellow:

It felt unnatural winding it the way it actually winds, I guess that's because the movement is upside down?

Working a treat now. :lol: