When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap or bracelet?

teddy boy

I am working toward buying a white dial mark xv. Given my nature, I have to research the thing to death before I buy. The only leather strap rep I own is a Panerai 029, GMT. I would describe the black leather strap as acceptable. I wouldn't allow someone who sells Panerais to handle it, but it looks legitimate on the writst and there are no odors as some have described leather straps found on reps various places on this site. Was I just lucky?

I prefer the look of the leather on the Mark xv, but don't want to foil the appearance of the watch with a crappy strap. Could someone wiith experience comment on the overall quality of leather straps on IWC reps? I realize that the quality varies from watch to watch and seller to seller, I'd just like some indication of whether they're all junk or there are some reps with good straps out there. Thanks in advance.

Generally leather straps on reps are junk. Especially if they are alligator/croc 'style' leather. You could pick up a nice leather strap for $40-$50 from a 3rd party supplier; that would be (and is) my choice.

Thanks for your reply. That would suggest that I order the watch with the strap to get the IWC buckle and then worry about getting a replacement strap that will fit the buckle.

Thanks for your reply. That would suggest that I order the watch with the strap to get the IWC buckle and then worry about getting a replacement strap that will fit the buckle.

Because the straps are so cheap many dealers will throw one in for very little extra, so do ask. It's your choice - I prefer straps on some watches and bracelets on others. It's hard to get a bracelet once you have bought the watch, but you will be able to get a strap that fits with a generic buckle fairly easily.

Because the straps are so cheap many dealers will throw one in for very little extra, so do ask. It's your choice - I prefer straps on some watches and bracelets on others. It's hard to get a bracelet once you have bought the watch, but you will be able to get a strap that fits with a generic buckle fairly easily.

Now that I've read your post, I know what I'm going to do. I'll buy the watch with the bracelet and then get a good generic strap to go with it. That way I can pick exactly the strap that I want. It also gives an air of authenticity to the watch as a generic strap is usually the second strap for the watch.

Good advice, thanks a bunch.

Sounds like a good move - there's an eBay seller called "thewatchboys" (actually a small company who seem to do most of their selling via an eBay shop), who do a range of gator and calf straps in the sometimes odd IWC sizes like 21mm, etc.

Now that I've read your post, I know what I'm going to do. I'll buy the watch with the bracelet and then get a good generic strap to go with it. That way I can pick exactly the strap that I want. It also gives an air of authenticity to the watch as a generic strap is usually the second strap for the watch.

This is what I do. I don't think I have a watch that still uses the replica strap it was delivered with.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this one. I'm going to follow what seems to be the consensus advice and order the watch with the bracelet and then get a high quality generic strap. Everything says this is the best way to go. Thanks again