When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jumping seconds hand

dieselpower

I have posed a question on another forum and I thought it might be of interest here. Can anyone tell me the Rolex that has an automatic mechanical movement where the second hand 'jumps' just like a modern quartz?

I wasn't aware Rolex made a "Secondes Mortes" wristwatch so you're probably talking about a clock or pocketwatch-style stopwatch. I'll guess ... a clock that goes outside a shop. :D

'Fraid not Pug. I'm taliking about a normal sized wristwatch that we all will recognise but has a second hand that jumps from second to second just like a modern quartz yet inside it has a mechanical movement.

So you're talking about a secondes-mortes wristwatch, and it's not an oysterquartz ...

Now I'm intrigued.

You learn something new every day. I thought for sure he was talking about an Oysterquartz.

Wow, 15 grand for a genuine Rolex that'll be called out as a fake instantly!

True, but only for the die hard collector. The Seiko kinetics act similiar to this movement although sometimes they jump several seconds at one time but never sweep smooth. Maybe take a seiko kinetic movement and put it in an oyster case, you have a nice tru beat rep. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I owned the opposite of this watch the Cartier chronoflex. This has an autoquartz movement that is quartz but sweeps like an automatic.

And in the 90's, Seiko made a quartz watch that had a smooth sweep that moved like an accutron second hand. Perfect replacement for accurton tuning fork movements. I had only 1 of these and have never seen any since.

They moved to the Spring Drive.