When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel Removal

Spatten1

I know this is basic for most of you, but please help me with this simple question.

On a watch with a rotating bezel, do I remove it with a knife, does it just snap on and off?

Is there an inner bezel that holds the crystal that is removed the same way?

I want to be able to access the hands and dial. I'm not afraid of mechanical things, but am just now learning watch basics.

Thanks,

Scott

I know this is basic for most of you, but please help me with this simple question.

On a watch with a rotating bezel, do I remove it with a knife, does it just snap on and off?

Is there an inner bezel that holds the crystal that is removed the same way?

I want to be able to access the hands and dial. I'm not afraid of mechanical things, but am just now learning watch basics.

Thanks,

Scott

I found removing a rotating bezel with a knife to be very easy. My advice is to use a table knife with a smooth blade, rather than a serrated one (they chew into the metal) and fold a piece of Scotch Tape along the length of the blade as additional protection. All it takes is a twist of the wrist, and bezel will pop right off. The bezel inserts are normally glued or taped into the main bezel. If you want to access the hands and dial, I think you have to do that by removing the entire movement through the back, but this isn't something I've ever done.

Also easier when you remove the bracelet or strap and attack it in the area between the lugs. I didn't remove the bracelet the first time I took off a bezel and put a nice scratch on the bracelet. A blunt knife might be a good try, I use a case knife and it is always a precarious line between getting the bezel off, scratching the hell out of a watch, or slicing your finger. Someday I am going to buy a bezel removing tool but they are expensive and I don't have to to remove one that often.

Dremel tool is handy for any f*ck-ups.

/Tim