When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How easy to scratch a Sub bezel? Black, Blue, etc.

jhigh

I've seen some used SUB reps, and I'm curious of how easy it is to knock the paint off of the bezel. I have a gen Datejust, so I don't have to worry about paint, no experience with a gen Sub.

Does it take a good smack on something rough to knick the paint?

I have used and abused my rep subs in every kind of condition imaginable. Mud, grease, diesel fuel, jack hammers and welding/grinding. I can honestly say that the paint used on the rep bezels I own is pretty tough. I collect vintage, and I find that I need to soak the bezels in detergent to fad them enough to look the part. Scratches on the tropics are more of a problem than the bezels being scratched in my line of work. Bezels are cheap too. $12-$15 will get you one that looks like new.....though I have yet to buy one. I think a bit of wear adds to the vintage look in my opinion.

I've tore up a couple of inserts, one gen and one rep out of say 15 subs. The gen was mishandled and the rep got some rough treatment. The other 13 are fine. People knock pearls off regularly, I've lost one, and replaced that bezel. The rep bezel was scratched, it fell off, I filed the back down and by the time I was finished regluing it, it had two small scratches, lost the paint- but it's a "work" watch, so you have to expect those things. When I'm out doing dirty work, I try not to wear a good watch, but it happens from time to time. Besides, replacing a rep bezel insert is a $20 deal, cost me $65 on the gen. It's like a maintenance item, and watches do have to be maintained.