When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wives/Girlfriends

dieselpower

Hi all,

I was ambling round this wonderful forum of ours and something that I have fallen victim to reared its head so I thought I would start this thread and see if it is a common occurance.

It starts like this; you have a hobby, you devote time to this hobby. Your wife puts up with it coz she loves you and is generally wonderful. She begins to look at your collection and shows a polite interest - which is nice and you start to explain what you like about your pieces and why you have chosen them. She listens and throws in the occasional comment about styles and even uses a few technical words that suprise and impress you. You do some in-depth research into your latest 'must have' watch and you ask your wife if she minds greatly if you buy yet another watch she rolls her eyes a little but asks to have a look at it. You think this is nice because, like clothes, if she likes it and thinks you will look good in it you know she will sanction its purchase. Of course she likes the watch, afterall this is your chosen field and you have impeccable taste! You order the watch and have that wonderful bitter - sweet wait for its arrival.

Sure enough after a week or so the tell tale package from the far east arrives and you eagerly rip it open then carefully peel away at sellotape and bubble wrap to unveil the beauty inside. And what a beauty! You not only admire the watch but you also give yourself a mental pat on the back for having been so dilligent in your research which has resulted in the ownership of this magnificent specimen. You fish out the jewellers screwdriver to adjust the bracelet to the perfect setting for your wrist and on goes the watch! Ah, the satisfaction and admiration, coupled with amazement that these things can be made for such a relatively small cost, all in all you feel a little taller, the world is a slightly better place the sun is just a little warmer than usual and all is well. Your loving wife looks at your wrist in all its glory and then says 'could I try it on?' This is a little confusing as the finely engineered manly timepiece you are sporting will look a little silly on her delicate bones but what the hell - she's showing interest again and that can only be a good thing. You flip open the buckle and hand over your treasure. She looks at it for a couple of nonchalant seconds then slightly clumsily puts the watch on her wrist.

Oh [censored]. oh [censored] oh [censored] oh [censored] oh [censored]. It looks fantastic. It looks so much better on her than on you. You are an aesthete and looks are vitally important. The watch - deserves - to be on her wrist, she looks great, she feels great, it was made for her.

She then says that she really likes it and would like to borrow it occasionally if that's ok with you....... I think you know the rest of the story.

My wifes watch collection (she's still a beginner):

Rep. Rolex Explorer I (1016) from Andrew

Gen. Vintage (1952) Oyster semi bubble back

Rep.Panerai 176 titanium from Josh (to be fair she chose this herself)

Gen. Ladies Oris (a gift)

P.S. I have a Daytona 6263 project watch which is coming together nicely. I use the term 'I' loosely. <_<

Your wife puts up with it coz she loves you and is generally wonderful. She begins to look at your collection and shows a polite interest - which is nice and you start to explain what you like about your pieces and why you have chosen them.

Or she rolls her eyes every time you open your mouth. Right up until the moment she steals your Panerai 183. :black_eye:

Oh [censored]. oh [censored] oh [censored] oh [censored] oh [censored]. It looks fantastic. It looks so much better on her than on you. You are an aesthete and looks are vitally important. The watch - deserves - to be on her wrist, she looks great, she feels great, it was made for her.

Let's face it, you could be talking about a potato sack and it would still look better on them -- because EVERYTHING looks better on them than on us!

Fortunately my wife is not into watches, though. She is content with her two tone Seiko and occasionally switches to a ladies Frank Mueller rep for a particular outfit. I recently noticed that she doesn't even set the day or date on the Seiko. It bugged me more than her, so I started updating it around the first of each month as needed.

Dieselpower.

Great post! i have always thought a girl would look sexy wearing a man's sport watch such as Omega or Rolex SS. Did she adjust bands to fit or let hang loose? I can see the ladies like the loos hangers to emulate a bracelet.

very Hot! I wish my wife would get into it!!