When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing upgrades?

jomama

I have noticed some dealers advertise wterproofing upgrades. Some say they add additional gaskets/seals etc. After opening my first rep (older LV from Andrew) I noticed there was only a thin rubber ring around caseback and a small ring around crown. Do ther dealers actually add additional rings or do they use larger rings to get a better seal? or do they typically just grease the existing rings?

Where does one get these gaskets/rings if they want a new or thicker ring? Can you get a thicker ring or is that a no no?

Anyhow, now that I have opened "pandora's box" I might as well learn how to clean and seal these things.

Any advise would be appreciated.

By the way. No need for the perverbial "these are just reps and you should never wear in the water" posts. I am aware of this and am trying to take mine to the next level. I also think the reps of today have a better chance of sealing. What is the huge difference here once you pop one open in terms of gaining the seal? Oh, I forgot about the crystal seal....yikes.

Thanks!

I have noticed some dealers advertise wterproofing upgrades. Some say they add additional gaskets/seals etc. After opening my first rep (older LV from Andrew) I noticed there was only a thin rubber ring around caseback and a small ring around crown. Do ther dealers actually add additional rings or do they use larger rings to get a better seal? or do they typically just grease the existing rings?

:blink:

Adding gaskets?

A dealer that advertises waterproofing will do the following to waterproof your watch: test it. If it passes the test, it's waterproof. If it fails, it gets sold to someone else. Changing gaskets is a bad thing to do as the gaskets fitted should be the right size. Sure, I'd grease gaskets on any watch I intended to get wet, but that's not the point.

A dealer offering waterproofing is offering testing and a guarantee. This may be worth it to you.

Ah. Pehaps I used the wrong term (as usual). It appears there is the ability to add "additional seals"? I picked up on this from Josh's and Andrew's web site and waterproofing services

Perfect SuB: "Waterproofing : Additional seals are add on and watch is pressure tested to 5 bars... 50m waterproofing.."

Waterproofing ($50): "Watch will be pre-test...Additional seals will be added to ensure the watch withstand pressue testing of 5 atm.. 50 meters... Methods of Testing : Dry Pressure Chamber Method.. "

On Andrew's site is says for his "perfect sub" it say: "Additional Seals and gaskets are added and watch is pressure tested to 5 bars and tested to 45m waterproof"

Just seems alot of money for something that may be an easy "mod" the only problem is no dry testing tool. It would have to be "field tested".

Ah. Pehaps I used the wrong term (as usual). It appears there is the ability to add "additional seals"? I picked up on this from Josh's and Andrew's web site and waterproofing services

Ugh. :blink:

Please search for a thread called "Little White Lies". What you're reading there is what's called marketing [censored]. Adding gaskets does nothing: A watch shouldn't be sold with gaskets missing in the first place. Maybe they mean they'll replace gaskets or something, but it's just waffle. Don't fall for the hype.

Its often worth replacing the o-rings provided with newer and sometimes more accuratly sized ones. The rep ones era often very low quality and in many cases are only there for appearances. Sometimes you can fit a second o-ring inside the crown tube where there was only one originally.

In practise, what degree of waterfroofing does silicon greasing the o rings give? Presumably it doesn't make the watch waterproof to 500 fathoms. I assume that it gives a bit of extra protection against say, a quick dip in the bath, but probably not much more than that with any degree of safety.

In practise, what degree of waterfroofing does silicon greasing the o rings give? Presumably it doesn't make the watch waterproof to 500 fathoms. I assume that it gives a bit of extra protection against say, a quick dip in the bath, but probably not much more than that with any degree of safety.

If the watch is supposed to be waterproof, it won't be as waterproof as it should be without the grease. It's not about what it adds, it's about what it takes away by not being there.